× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting phpMyAdmin

Newsat11
Luminary

Setting phpMyAdmin

After installing the application the setup screen states I need a config folder. The installation directions are not clear to me. It says I have to create the config folder in the root directory. I am not sure if the readynas automatically creates this folder or if I sill need to download it from phpmyadmin.net.
Message 1 of 25
gpaolo
Luminary

Rif.: Setting phpMyAdmin

Hello, I have the same problem. 

I'm trying to set up Drupal but before I have to install MySQL ---and before I have to install phpMyAdmin.

The setup want fine, but when I open it I also get this message saying that I have to create a "config" directory.

I'm checking on SSH if I find any obvious place where to create it but no luck until now.

Could someone please give me some instructions? 

I'm using a RN314 with OS6. Thanks!

Message 2 of 25
Newsat11
Luminary

Sorry, I just saw this...The config directory is installed when you install PHP. Have you fixed your problem yet? Before installing any of the listed add-ons you have to install PHP. You should start by uninstalling everything and starting with PHP.

Message 3 of 25
gpaolo
Luminary

Hi, no problem 😉

Thank you for the instructions, I managed to have it running after a few days of trials and errors (mostly errors, actually).

The problem is that now I don't really remember how I fixed the issue, but it is possible that I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling everything in the correct order.

Message 4 of 25
Newsat11
Luminary

My guess it that you uninstalled everything as well. There is something to be said for trial and error, but here is a quick rundown of what was going on. All the programs you installed were dependent on a successful installation of PHP. The config file is generated when PHP is successfully installed (it can be a pain to get to but that's another story). phpMyAdmin allows you to manipulate the database without having to learn mySQL. but it's a good skill to have. If you need to get on some MySQL knowledge, you can take a basics course for free from Code Academy. For an online coding site their programs are pretty good. Let me know if you need any help, I am pushing the Netgear equipment to it's maximum capabilities so by the time I am done I should be a great resource for those looking for small business IT solutions.

Message 5 of 25
gpaolo
Luminary

Thank you very much for your offer!

I have experience in low level programming, but almost nothing in (modern) PC programming. I was trying to get Drupal running on my NAS to host a small website, but after trying it I decided that it was not what I needed and I moved to a normal website designed with standard tools, so at the end I'm not using PHP/MySQL/Drupal any more, but maybe in the future I may get back to it. 

Message 6 of 25
Newsat11
Luminary

It sounds like you may be a little confused as to how Drupal functions. Drupal is a content management system, and is a part of the back end of a website. At this point I would have to say Drupal has become a pretty standard web design too, but it sounds like you need to decide what your requirements are for both your front end and back end. I wish you the best of luck with your web design endeavor. I would spend some time doing research on front and back end options and have a clear understanding of what you'll need...and why you need it. Typically a professional web desinger would walk you throught this process, it's often expensice, but that's exactly what you pay them for. If you need an intermediate solution, you might try a website builder like GoDaddy or Wix.

Message 7 of 25
gpaolo
Luminary

Hi, no, I do know what Drupal is. My issue was in getting it installed on the NAS.

I never created pages with Drupal, so I wasn't sure if it was what I needed. 

At the end, it was not. I needed something a lot more flexible to create different pages styles and structure, acting directly on the CSS styles, while the possibilities offered by Drupal were more, let me say, blog style. 

It is quite possible that I wasn't able to personalized it properly, but it costed me less time to get back to Dreamweaver than fighting with Drupal. 

I started (ages ago) writing webpages with Notepad first, Frontpage then and Flash the last ones, I'm not paying someone for a personal project 🙂

Message 8 of 25
Newsat11
Luminary

Good deal! It sounds like you need a bit of JS in the mix...

Message 9 of 25
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Setting phpMyAdmin

Hi

just added the PHPMyAdmin App via the Apps webpage on the NAS. (i.e. Poussin ... )

I think this installs Vers 4.0.4 and in trying to apply 'settings' via the NAS Apps page, it is NOT clear where the config file should go and what to do.

The folders do not line up with the instructions.

Obviously there is a newer version (not in NAS apps) of 4.5.4.1 released a few days ago.

Should I struggle thorugh getting the 'settings' correct first, or download and install the latest version.

If the later .... how do I do it?

Message 10 of 25
Newsat11
Luminary

Re: Setting phpMyAdmin

Unfortunately, the instructions that are included with the app are for installation using a typical server configuration (similar to C-Panel on GoDaddy). The file you are trying to install needs to go in the root directory of the ReadyNAS, and to access the directory you need to enter SSH. Do you know how to do this? If not, it's listed on one of my other threads and I can point you in that direction to catch you up if need be.

Message 11 of 25
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@Newsat11 wrote:

Unfortunately, the instructions that are included with the app are for installation using a typical server configuration (similar to C-Panel on GoDaddy). The file you are trying to install needs to go in the root directory of the ReadyNAS, and to access the directory you need to enter SSH. Do you know how to do this? If not, it's listed on one of my other threads and I can point you in that direction to catch you up if need be.

Yes I can use SSH ....

Are you sure it is the root directory /, and not something like /data/.apps/phpmyadminr6?

Seems a bit odd and illogical .....anyway I will give a go.

Is it that the idea is test within a new folder 'config' first and somehow use the GUI setup, or is that complete codswallop for setting up on the NAS.

Oh and just another quicky ..... How can I upgrade PHPMyAdmin from the current version to the latest ... do I have to download a 'tar' and do it that way, or is there a GUI.

Should I do that before sorting out the config.inc.php file?

Thanks in advance for any info .....

Message 12 of 25
BaJohn
Virtuoso

.... oh just thought....

How do we find out if the latest PHPMyAdmin version is compatible with the ReadyNAS OS 6?

There might be some horrible clashes or summat.

PHPMyaAdmin .... 4.5.4.1 is the latest (my current 4.0.4.1)

ReadNAS OS ...... 6.4.1 using GNU Bash 4.2.37

Message 13 of 25
Newsat11
Luminary

Sorry, you have the root directory correct. It's the root directory of the installation, not the ReadyNas. I was thinking of the php.ini file when I wrote that. The latest applications should be on the ReadyNAS add-on website. If you want to manually install them you can download the TAR, but the ReadyNAS has GUI for that. You just need to log into you ReadyNAS admin page and navigate to apps. I have a special situation, as I download all the files for manual installation. I run my entire unit offline for security purposes, I use for testing proprietary solutions. You should update PHP to the latest version first. This is always the safest bet, if the new version of PHPmyadmin is using a newer version of PHP, they will typically include it with the installation.

Message 14 of 25
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@Newsat11 wrote:

Sorry, you have the root directory correct. It's the root directory of the installation, not the ReadyNas. I was thinking of the php.ini file when I wrote that. The latest applications should be on the ReadyNAS add-on website. If you want to manually install them you can download the TAR, but the ReadyNAS has GUI for that. You just need to log into you ReadyNAS admin page and navigate to apps. I have a special situation, as I download all the files for manual installation. I run my entire unit offline for security purposes, I use for testing proprietary solutions. You should update PHP to the latest version first. This is always the safest bet, if the new version of PHPmyadmin is using a newer version of PHP, they will typically include it with the installation.

I am confused about the GUI to install 'the latest', as I used the ReadyNAS to install in the first place and it was out of date. Am I missing something?

Failing that is there SIMPLE instructions for doing it manually that are correct for the ReadyNAS?

Message 15 of 25
Newsat11
Luminary

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I use mine in offline mode only. I was making the assumption the GUI was had the most up-to-date apps, but if you are telling me that is incorrect, I will have to take your word for it because I have not a method of verifying it. The instructions are simple for manual installations, and I do them whenever I feel the need to update my unit.

Message 16 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@BaJohn wrote:

I am confused about the GUI to install 'the latest', as I used the ReadyNAS to install in the first place and it was out of date. Am I missing something?

Failing that is there SIMPLE instructions for doing it manually that are correct for the ReadyNAS?

I'm not 100% certain with this particular update.  But since the update is coming from the app author, I believe all you need to is upload it using the "upload" control on the upper right of the apps screen.  It should then over-install.

You might need to re-apply your configuration changes.

Message 17 of 25
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@StephenB wrote:

@BaJohn wrote:

I'm not 100% certain with this particular update.  But since the update is coming from the app author, I believe all you need to is upload it using the "upload" control on the upper right of the apps screen.  It should then over-install.

You might need to re-apply your configuration changes.

Unfortunately in my poking around the various places on the Internet I came across this.

http://docs.phpmyadmin.net/en/latest/setup.html?highlight=updating

Half way donw the page is a section entitled "Upgrading from an older version".

It says "NEVER extract the new version over an existing installation of PHPMyAdmin; we had evidence of problems caused by this."

It sort of indicates that the best way is to update by throwing away the old and then installing the latest as though it was the first installation.

Since it takes a lot of time to get this working in the first place, I am currently holding back from proceeding at the moment.

Obviously being on a ReadyNAS adds further complication (I think?).

I was kind of hoping that somebody else with a ReadyNAS had already done this .........

Message 18 of 25
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Whilst waiting for some progress on another post about rewriting on wordpress https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Add-ons/OS-6-4-2-apache2-rewrite-problem-when-using-WordP... I will try and see if I can get the PHPMyAdmin (4.0.4.1) updated.

I thought that the idea of using the NAS to upload the latest MAYBE a good idea (ignoring my own previous comment).

I downloaded the latest version (4.5.4.1) of PHPMyAdmin from https://www.phpmyadmin.net/ to my PC.

From the NAS I used the 'upload' button top right on the 'Installed Apps' page to pick up the downloaded zip file.

On pressing Install it failed with "Only Debian packages are allowed".

So I go to the download page https://www.phpmyadmin.net/downloads/ only to find that none are labelled with debian packages.

Trying to get an uptodate version of LAMP on the NAS with a working WordPress installation is taking me days of work.

I have read 100's of pages on the Internet and I am not the only one with the problem.

I am now at the point of scrapping the whole project  .... on the NAS.

I do not know whether it is the NAS that is the problem, or just this is a difficult (almost impossible) task.

I get the feeling that it really should only take an hour or so (on a good day).

A REALLY REALLY FRUSTRATED AND UPSET POSTEE.

I will see how I feel tomorrow

Message 19 of 25
BaJohn
Virtuoso

I am now a lot calmer, since I climbed down the wall .... I can see the deep scratches that were produced yesterday:)

Okay ... I looked at installing a new version of PHPMyAdmin using the 'apt-get' utility, BUT how do you know what it is going to install.

So first I install 'dselect' using 'apt-get install dselect' and this installed Vers 1.16.17 quite happily.

Using 'dselect' I discovered that the available version of PHPMyAdmin that I can install using apt-get is 4.0.4.

I already have Vers 4.0.4 installed and my system is telling me to upgrade.

The current Version available to the outside world is 4.5.4.1, considerable different I would expect.

HOW DO I GET THE NAS BOX TO INSTALL THE LATEST VERSION OF PHPMYADMIN?

Message 20 of 25
WieselHa
Aspirant

Hi,

did you  manage to upgrade PHPMyAdmin to 4.5.4.1 ? or could you finalize the installation of 4.0.4 without getting config missing messages and such?

I'm on RN314 with Wordpress, Koken and SuperSync on it, looks like for standard operation PHPMyAdmin is not a must.

Try to manage the NAS from mac OS X.

Thanks for sharing your success.

rgs Hans

Message 21 of 25
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@WieselHa wrote:

Hi,

did you  manage to upgrade PHPMyAdmin to 4.5.4.1 ? or could you finalize the installation of 4.0.4 without getting config missing messages and such?

I'm on RN314 with Wordpress, Koken and SuperSync on it, looks like for standard operation PHPMyAdmin is not a must.

Try to manage the NAS from mac OS X.

Thanks for sharing your success.

rgs Hans

Hi Hans

No I did NOT manage to upgrade to the latest version.

There were so many problems that we (the family) decided to cut our losses (my time) and start again with a new website.

See here if you want to see progression in last few weeks.

It seems to be the trend to do it all online (in this case using WordPress) and although not finished, it works.

Lots more to add to it, but the basics are built ... sort of.

Re "Thanks for sharing your success." I assume that was irony.

ATB

P.S. Actually we all learn more from failures than we ever do from successes, so I have learnt a lot.

Message 22 of 25
WieselHa
Aspirant

That's a pity I realy hoped we could share our learnings ;-/

Nice shop page "Fashion Books & Prints", which plugin did you use?

Anyhow I will simply use the "old" PHPMyAdmin Version hope that will be enough for my needs.

and ignore the "error" messages Smiley Happy  Have a nice weekend. best regards Hans

Spoiler

Message 23 of 25
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@WieselHa wrote:

That's a pity I realy hoped we could share our learnings ;-/

Nice shop page "Fashion Books & Prints", which plugin did you use?

Anyhow I will simply use the "old" PHPMyAdmin Version hope that will be enough for my needs.

and ignore the "error" messages Smiley Happy  Have a nice weekend. best regards Hans

The Theme is 'Enfinity' - a paid for theme.

There are lots of free ones, as you are probably aware.

One of my favourites is in the website I built here.

Try the gallery and click a picture (mostly my pictures ny the way).

I love the way they move ..... magic.

ATB

Message 24 of 25
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@BaJohn wrote:

Try the gallery and click a picture (mostly my pictures ny the way).

I love the way they move ..... magic.

ATB

Apologies ... I meant click a 'category' along the top ....Beaches, Local, Other, Shopping.

ATB

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements