× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R6200 USB problem

Zeb_Mac
Aspirant

Netgear R6200 USB problem

Hi friends.

Okay I have a huge problem here.
I managed to connect my USB containing all my pictures and movies to my router and after a restart I can access the files from my TV in another room. BUT I cannot see the files on the USB from my computer, not anywhere.

When I am in the "control box" = 192.x.x.x and clicka readyshare -> advanced etc I get a link smb://movies, so I click that, and a blank page opens in my browser.

I have another link a bit down and use that and it says \\movies\USB_Storage

When I go to that address the bing opens and presents junk results.

When I go to explorer in Windows 10. I see my network drive as "movies:R6220".

Click on that and I get a browser window stating this

ReadyDLNA status

Audio files: 0
Video files: 94
Image files: 1

That is it.

I cannot access the video files I have, WHY?

Where can I access the files and how can I access more files to the network USB?

This is so stupid that I can access the harddrive from my TV but not from my computer......

HELP please

Message 1 of 7

Re: Netgear R6200 USB problem

@Zeb_Mac wrote:

I managed to connect my USB containing all my pictures and movies to my router and after a restart I can access the files from my TV in another room. BUT I cannot see the files on the USB from my computer, not anywhere.

What happens when you tell Windows Explorer to go to

\\Readyshare

Message 2 of 7
Zeb_Mac
Aspirant

\\Readyshare

Nothing happens sadly. What kind of explorer are you using?

I am using file explorer, no, no find. Internet browser, no result using 

Message 3 of 7

@Zeb_Mac wrote:

\\Readyshare

Nothing happens sadly. What kind of explorer are you using?

I am using file explorer, no, no find. Internet browser, no result using 

My explorer is not something typical. You should also be able to get to that address in Windows Explorer.

Did you set up ReadySHARE for USB in the R6200?

In the browser graphical user interface (GUI):

• Basic
  • ReadySHARE
  • Basic
  • Available Network Folders

You should see the USB devices attached to your router.

This is not the same as the Media Server setting, which is what allows your TV to see things on the network and provides the link to smb://movies.

Unfortunately, I cannot understand the following bit of your first message:

When I am in the "control box" = 192.x.x.x and clicka readyshare -> advanced etc I get a link smb://movies, so I click that, and a blank page opens in my browser.
I have another link a bit down and use that and it says \\movies\USB_Storage
When I go to that address the bing opens and presents junk results.

What is this ""control box" = 192.x.x.x "?

Message 4 of 7
Zeb_Mac
Aspirant

The "control box" is the Router info site or call it whatever you want.

I do have BASIC and Advanced to choose in the top and nothing about shring as USB.

In the Basic tab I can only choose 

Basic

Printer 

Vault

So I go for basic, since I do not have a printer and do not want a vault.

Advanced tab I have USB storage with a few options;
Readyshare
Advanced
Mediaserver

Readyshare I can see network name \\movies but if I write or what you call it \\movies in explorer or browser nothing happens.

Advanced option I have another network connection (I am bad of translating sorry) and it says the bloody smb://movies and nothing happens when I click or go to that site, blank page in internet browser thats it.

Under media server option it is activated, but don know why.
No files are added no matter how many times I press update.

I am soon about to give up this sorry piece of wifi router that makes it so hard to connect a simple HDD to the network. Must be easier to setup a NAS unit, but I guess it will be impossible to connect a NAS to this wifi router as well.....

Message 5 of 7

@Zeb_Mac wrote:

I am soon about to give up this sorry piece of wifi router that makes it so hard to connect a simple HDD to the network. Must be easier to setup a NAS unit, but I guess it will be impossible to connect a NAS to this wifi router as well.....

That is certainly a better option. ReadySHARE is a poor man's NAS, especially no a basic router like your 10-year old R6200.

I have four NAS boxes and a bunch of USB devices for simple stuff.

@Zeb_Mac wrote:

The "control box" is the Router info site or call it whatever you want.

I prefer to call that the browser graphical user interface (GUI). It isn't so much a website as the router's "control panel" presented in html format.

I still can't tell what you see in ReadySHARE settings. A picture is easier to follow.

michaelkenward_0-1673638145254.png

I don't know where you see //movies in there. The Network/Device Name:  is how you navigate to USB storage.

Under media server option it is activated, but don know why.
No files are added no matter how many times I press update.

Turn off media server and you will soon discover why it is active. Your TV will lose access to you movie files.

Message 6 of 7
Zeb_Mac
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your explanations.

I tried it until late last night. 
On the drive I have there are about 200 documentary, movies etc. All I got on my TV were the first 7 folders out of over 200 folders.

So I let it be over night until this morning. And as I recall from my earlier trials with readyshare, something strange happens to the Netgear router when I leave my USB drive connected, I lost internet connection.......

As soon as I unplugged the USB drive, the internet connection was back.
That is spooky. So I must say, I go with the old fashion way now, I plug the HDD (SSD) directly into my TV instead and make another HDD for my second TV and skip the network for now. It gives me way too many headaches to work with the junk Netgear product. Am so tired of these "at home" wifi routers. All say they sell the best but none seems to be good enough.

But thank you very much for your support and help, I really appreciate it, I tried everything, nothing works sadly.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7