× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pin number

VickieMyers
Tutor

Pin number

I have a nighthawk R6120 all devices connect except my laptop. It's asking for an 8 digit pin.  Where do I find this?  

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Re: Pin number

Not dumb really. The problem starts with the way that the IT world talks about things like passwords.

"security key", "passphrase", you name it. Different people use different words.

That Netgear uses the password word for wifi, getting into the router, entering this place and various other things doesn't help.

Here's a sentence from one of Netgear's manuals:

"The security key is also referred to as the WiFi passphrase or WiFi password."

Every reason to be confused.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies

@VickieMyers wrote:

I have a nighthawk R6120 all devices connect except my laptop. It's asking for an 8 digit pin.  Where do I find this?  

What is asking for a PIN? The laptop?

How are you trying to connect? Wifi?

What throws up this message? Windows? Some connection software on your unnamed laptop?

Does the laptop have a WPS option?

Manuals are always a good place to start. Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Use WPS With the PIN Method.

Message 2 of 9
VickieMyers
Tutor

It's a Dell laptop with windows and I'm trying to connect to internet wireless. The laptop shows my router and that there is signal but when I've tried to connect a small window pops up on the laptop asking for an 8 digit pin. I have briefly looked at the manual it mentions a pin but I haven't been able to find it. Or see in the manual where to look for it. I also have the nighthawk app no help there either.
Message 3 of 9
VickieMyers
Tutor

Thank you for the information.
Message 4 of 9

@VickieMyers wrote:
It's a Dell laptop with windows and I'm trying to connect to internet wireless. The laptop shows my router and that there is signal but when I've tried to connect a small window pops up on the laptop asking for an 8 digit pin.

What possessed Dell to demand that sort of security? Madness.

All your other stuff connects to the router, so the "problem" is really down to the Dell. The router is just doing its stuff. The laptop is getting in the way.

How about looking for a WPS "button" on the Dell? There's one on the router. (Be vcareful hpw you use that, "Press the button for about 5 to 10 seconds until the WiFi LED blinks amber".) You should be able to press them both and let the two devices fight it out.

According to the manual, on the R6120 you have to get into the browser graphical user interface:

• Advanced
  • Advanced Setup
  • Advanced Wireless Settings
  • Scroll down to the WPS Settings section in the lower part of the page.

It might be easier to work out how to stop the Dell laptop from demanding a PIN. That could simply be a case of using Windows to connect rather than some poxy program that Dell created to "help" you.

Message 5 of 9
VickieMyers
Tutor

Thanks for your help I finally got it connected without the pin.
Message 6 of 9

@VickieMyers wrote:
Thanks for your help I finally got it connected without the pin.

Great. I thought it should be possible.

Was it complicated?

Might help a later victim if you explained what you did.

Message 7 of 9
VickieMyers
Tutor

It's kinda dumb I guess on my part under the box that kept asking for the pin it said something about logging in with security key I entered the router pass word and that was it. Like I said it was so simple I was over thinking the whole thing I guess. But thanks again for your help
Message 8 of 9

Not dumb really. The problem starts with the way that the IT world talks about things like passwords.

"security key", "passphrase", you name it. Different people use different words.

That Netgear uses the password word for wifi, getting into the router, entering this place and various other things doesn't help.

Here's a sentence from one of Netgear's manuals:

"The security key is also referred to as the WiFi passphrase or WiFi password."

Every reason to be confused.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7