× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN3000RP v3 N300 extender IPV6 disabling

Kmmmn
Aspirant

WN3000RP v3 N300 extender IPV6 disabling

Hi.  Wondering if it’s possible to disable IPv6 on my N300 extender and if so, how.

thanks,

KM

Message 1 of 7

Re: WN3000RP v3 N300 extender IPV6 disabling

@Kmmmn wrote:

Hi.  Wondering if it’s possible to disable IPv6 on my N300 extender and if so, how.

Why do you want to do this? You are trying to fix something that doesn't work?

I see no mention of IPv6 for the WN3000RP range.

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Was wondering the same in why are you trying to achieve this? 

It should be set by your router, not a wireless extender. 

Message 3 of 7
Kmmmn
Aspirant

i have a firestick and cannot disable ipv6 on it.  I have ipv6 disabled on my router but it still shows on my FS.  I wondered if I used my Netgear as an access point I could connect my FS to it, but only if I could set it up with ipv6 disabled.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 7

@Kmmmn wrote:

i have a firestick and cannot disable ipv6 on it. 

Same question as @plemans really, why do you want to do that?

IPv6 is a newfangled thing that appeared after the WN3000RP from 2011.

Then there is the fact that the WN3000RP is a range extender. In that case, the router it extends is in charge of network management.

Message 5 of 7
andysbhai
Aspirant

My Apple Airport Extreme 802.11ac router handled IPv6 perfectly, but the connections (regardless of IP addressing) were flaky and I got tired of hearing all the people in the house complaining about "the internet". So, I decided to get a new router. I did research to try to find the stablest, fastest router I could. I decided on a Netgear R7800.

I am very happy with the speed and connectivity of the Netgear, but it fails with IPv6 because the firmware blocks ICMP, or some such. My research had not revealed this issue, but after I experienced it, it was easy to find many complaints about it all over everywhere. It's not just my particular model, it seems to be all Netgear.

In Netgear's own user forums, the "accepted solution" is to buy another brand. The Netgear engineers apparently refuse to fix it, citing security concerns.

Is anyone here aware of a fix or workaround for this?

Message 6 of 7

@andysbhai wrote:

I did research to try to find the stablest, fastest router I could. I decided on a Netgear R7800.

I am very happy with the speed and connectivity of the Netgear, but it fails with IPv6 because the firmware blocks ICMP, or some such.

There are various implementations of IPv6.

The R7800 does not support the version supported by my ISP, BT in the UK. That router, now six years old, was relatively early on in the availability of IPv6 on domestic routers.

Re: IPV6 with BT Infinity - NETGEAR Communities

IPV6 with BT Infinity - NETGEAR Communities

IPV6 D7000 not working properly - NETGEAR Communities

D7000 Nighthawk no IPV6

I have a Netgear MK router, this year's model, that happily finds IPv6 and sets itself up.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7