× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS724tpv2 and Google wifi

pdelebarre
Aspirant

GS724tpv2 and Google wifi

Dear all
I have the following setup : ISP modem -> Google wifi WAN -> switch netgear gs724tpv2 (port 1)
I have several devices (computers / tvs / nas ) plugged on the switch from different rooms. LAN is ok, all have internet access. So far so good.
The issue starts when i wire a secondary google wifi (port 9 in my case).
The switch seems to detect a loop. Port 9 gets blocked and if deactivate STP then port 1 is in error and port 9 becomes uplink.
NB: the 2 google wifi boxes communicate well (over the air...) but slowly (that’s why i wanted to wire them in the first place).
Any suggestion?
Thanks a lot
Take care

Cheers
Philippe
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS724tpv2 and Google wifi

Diging a little bit more, you can try to

• Disable STP, and keep enable Forward BPDU while STP Disabled (don't know of your switch model allows), 
  • Disable RSTP, just keep STP enabled, and set STP to an average of e.g. 28672

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

This is a not supported set-up in my understanding:  Hardwire Google Nest Wifi routers, Google Wifi points and other devices  -> What NOT to do -> Wire a Google Nest Wifi router or primary Wifi point to other points in the same switch

Message 2 of 7
pdelebarre
Aspirant

I have followed the recommendation from https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/7215624 : ISP router (LAN). -> google wifi primary (wan). -> switch port 1 (uplink). Then wire (eg) port 9 to google wifi secondary (wan)
Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

===

Modem → Google Nest Wifi router or primary Wifi point→ Switch → Google Wifi point(s)

1. Modem’s LAN port connects to Google Nest Wifi router or primary Wifi point’s WAN port 
     via wired Ethernet
  2. Primary Wifi point’s LAN port connects to switch’s WAN or uplink port via wired Ethernet
  3. Switch’s LAN port(s) connects to any Google Wifi point's WAN port via wired Ethernet

Switches and Google Wifi points may be connected in any order (as long as they're downstream of the Google Nest Wifi router or primary Wifi point) and you may connect several of these devices via wired Ethernet. Connecting downstream is important as it allows the Google Nest Wifi router or primary Wifi point to manage the downstream Wifi points over the wired Ethernet.

() Modem → Google Nest Wifi router or primary Wifi point → Switch → Google Nest Wifi router or Google Wifi point

→ Google Nest Wifi router or Google Wifi point

() Modem → Google Nest Wifi router or primary Wifi point → Google Wifi point → Switch → Google Wifi point

→ Google Wifi point
===

Assuming the underlined set-up is yours, Challenge Google WiFi support.

If the Google WiFi see each other, a loop is predictable - unless they do the right thing on the Google WiFi devices. Nothing wrong woth the switch in my opinion. Some vendors claim there must be non-managed switches without any STP (and higher) and without proprietary loop prevention. To add more confusion - because STP is switch-wide - one can't use a dedicated VLAN for the wired backhaul of such Mesh systems.

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Diging a little bit more, you can try to

• Disable STP, and keep enable Forward BPDU while STP Disabled (don't know of your switch model allows), 
  • Disable RSTP, just keep STP enabled, and set STP to an average of e.g. 28672
Message 5 of 7
pdelebarre
Aspirant

Thanks a lot!!!

"Disable STP, and keep enable Forward BPDU while STP Disabled (don't know of your switch model allows)," did the trick apparently. 
    Gonna test the third google wifi on 3rd floor now.
    You made my daughters very happy 🙂

Message 6 of 7
pdelebarre
Aspirant

If I may I have an additional question. Why is Uplink on port 9 (secondary google wifi downstream) and not port 1 (primary)?

Thanks
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements