× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port Flapping on GS724PT and getting yellow 100M POE connection while starting with green

OthmanD
Tutor

Port Flapping on GS724PT and getting yellow 100M POE connection while starting with green

Hello Gentalmen,

I have purchised a secondhand GS724TP Prosafe gigabit switch.
I am trying to setup my home network at home with this switch to be able to power my accespoints and security camera's.

But it looks like i am getting only 100m to my Linksys LAPAC1750PRO AC1750 Pro Dual Band Access Point

I have 3 the same accespoint and tryde them all out.
With a long and short cabel, premolded and selfmade cabels. It starts with 1000m connection and a green light and afterwards it turns into yellow.
I have changed the port now and it looks like its far more stable but i still get the Yellow 100m connection.

Help Help Help!

Greetings OthmanD 

Model: GS724TP|ProSafe 24 ports gigabit smart switches with PoE
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
OthmanD
Tutor

Re: Port Flapping on GS724PT and getting yellow 100M POE connection while starting with green

Hello @DaneA,

I found the problem.

I did a cabel test and got a not correct alert.
Checked the patchpanel and redid the cabels.
And I get this now. See attachment (g19)
Poort 19 gave me issues so now I can go on.

Kind regards,

Othman Deraz

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Port Flapping on GS728PT and getting yellow 100M POE connection while starting with green

@OthmanD,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

What is the current firmware version of the GS728TP switch?  If ever it is not yet the latest version, I suggest you to update it.  The latest version is v6.0.1.24 and you can download it here.  You may need to perform a factory reset to the GS728TP switch after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version. 

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
OthmanD
Tutor

Re: Port Flapping on GS728PT and getting yellow 100M POE connection while starting with green

Hello DaneA,
Thank you for this warm welcom and  Thank you for your reply,
I found out I have e very old version of firmware on my switch:

Model Name  Hardware Version   Boot Version   Software Version
GS724TP          00.01.02             1.0.0.9             V5.2.0.11

I have tryde to run a update with the link you have send me but i was wondering if I should have a other version before updating to the latest one. The reason that i am asking this is. Because when I upload the .ros file I get a "upload fail" message after 2% upload.

I have added a screenshot.
At my second try i first rebooted my switch just to be sure that is was not some kind of hikup.

But still no succes.

Please let me know what I can do.

Message 3 of 6
OthmanD
Tutor

Re: Port Flapping on GS724PT and getting yellow 100M POE connection while starting with green

@DaneA 
I am sorry I have a GS724PT unit not a GS728PT
I think that is the mistake from my side does that model have a newer firmware?
I cant find it anyware on the site 

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@OthmanD,

Since you verified that you have a GS724TP switch, you already have the latest firmware version which is v5.2.0.11.  

I suggest you to reflash the firmware and use image 2 (if ever image 1 is currently active or vice versa). Here are the steps:

1. On your PC, download the latest firmware v5.2.0.11 from this link then unzip it.  Save it in the PC.  

2. Disconnect the GS724TP switch from the existing network.

3. Connect a PC directly to a LAN port (management port) of the GS724TP switch.  Set a static IP address on the PC that is within the same IP range of the IP address set on the GS724TP switch.  

4. Access the web-GUI of the GS724TP switch.

5. Go to Maintenance > File Management > Active Image. Check the current-active image. 

Note: If the current-active image is image1 then we need to activate image2 (or vice versa) then reflash the firmware. Let say for example, the current-active image is image1 with firmware v5.2.0.11 and image2 is the next-active which has either an old firmware version or latest version as well.

6. Let's activate image2.  Go to Maintenance > File Management > Active Image.  On the "After Reset" column, select image2 then check the Active Image box and click Apply.  

7. Go to Maintenance > Reset > Device Reboot.  Check the box and click Apply.  Wait until the GS724TP switch reboots.

8. After the GS724TP switch booted up, go to Maintenance > File Management > Active Image. Check the current-active image.  Image2 should be the current-active image. 

From steps 1-5, kindly read pages 8-5 to 8-6 of the GS724TP software administration manual here about Active Image.  

9. Now that image2 is activated, we will have to reflash the firmware.  Go to Maintenance > Download.  

10. On the File Type, select Firmware and choose "via HTTP."  Browse the the latest firmware v5.2.0.11 you have unzip earlier. and click Apply.

Note: After a file transfer is started, wait until the screen refreshes. When the screen refreshes, the Select File option is blanked out. This indicates that the file transfer is done.

11. After uploading the firmware v5.2.0.11 on image2.  Go to Maintenance > Reset > Factory Default.  Check the box and click Apply. This will factory reset the GS724TP switch.  Wait until the switch boots up properly.

12. Reconfigure the settings from scratch and reconnect it to the existing network.  

13. Observe if same problem will occur.  

Note: Its recommended to perform a factory reset after uploading a firmware then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.  

Let us know the result.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
OthmanD
Tutor

Hello @DaneA,

I found the problem.

I did a cabel test and got a not correct alert.
Checked the patchpanel and redid the cabels.
And I get this now. See attachment (g19)
Poort 19 gave me issues so now I can go on.

Kind regards,

Othman Deraz

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements