× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN Config

Coop59
Aspirant

VLAN Config

Hello Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right area to post, however in the home networking they don't have a category that fits what I need. 

I have bought a few netgear products recently to try and segregate my traffic. The problem is I know nothing except the basics about networking. For the last 3 weeks I have been trying to use sophisticated switches and such and it has become very confusing and frustrating. I recently came across a document that has actually opened my eyes a little bit and gave me some direction. So right now I am creating a test bed with a Netgear FVS336G (router/firewall), a GS108PEv3, and a Netgear JGS524Ev2 - 24-Port Gigabit switch. So far so good I guess. I have configured the FVS336G with 3 VLANs 1 - 3, I have the router configured properly and the GS108PEv3 (with the same VLANs) configured properly as well I connected PCs to the port in question and was able to get internet and 2 of 3 VLANs can't contact each other. This is intended so I am good so far however on VLAN 1 on the switch all 8 ports are assigned and untagged, now I have port 8 tagged and plugged in to port one of the router to carry all the VLANs communication to the router (Is this correct?). I have port 8 tagged in vlan 2 and vlan 3 I know this is the way it's supposed to be done. However in VLAN 1 Port 8 is untagged, is this the way it should be?

U = untagged

T = Tagged

B = Blank

Ports                           1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

VLAN 1                       U U U  U U  U U  U

VLAN 2                       T  U U  B B  B  B  B

VLAN 3                       T  B  B U U  B  B  B

The above is the way the document spelled it out as far as the VLANS the only thing I didn't get was is VLAN 1 configured correctly especially Port 1

Thanks in advance everyone,

Michael

Model: GS108PEv3|ProSafe Gigabit Plus switch with PoE
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: VLAN Config

@Coop59,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I suggest you remove the ports in VLAN 1 that you don't want to belong to VLAN 1.  Since port 8 is the uplink port, it should be set as a tagged port and a member of all VLANs with a PVID = 1.

It seems that your network setup is similar to the article below.  Clink on the link below and use it as your guide. 

How do I set up one or more VLANs between a NETGEAR ProSAFE firewall and a smart switch?

In setting up VLANS between switches, you may use the article below as your guide: 

How do I setup a VLAN trunk link between two NETGEAR switches?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Coop59,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I suggest you remove the ports in VLAN 1 that you don't want to belong to VLAN 1.  Since port 8 is the uplink port, it should be set as a tagged port and a member of all VLANs with a PVID = 1.

It seems that your network setup is similar to the article below.  Clink on the link below and use it as your guide. 

How do I set up one or more VLANs between a NETGEAR ProSAFE firewall and a smart switch?

In setting up VLANS between switches, you may use the article below as your guide: 

How do I setup a VLAN trunk link between two NETGEAR switches?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Coop59
Aspirant

Thanks @DaneA 

Model: FVS336G|PROSAFE DUAL WAN GIGABIT FIREWALL WITH SSL & IPSEC VPN
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats