× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

vlan access port

native_vlan
Aspirant

vlan access port

I am trying to get to a device on a different vlan access port. 

below is my current config (as saved from the Switch config saver download.) 

!Current Configuration:
!
!System Description "GS724Tv4 ProSafe 24-port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch, 6.3.1.19, B1.0.0.4"
!System Software Version "6.3.1.19"
!System Up Time          "0 days 0 hrs 37 mins 32 secs"
!Additional Packages     QOS,IPv6 Management,Routing
!Current SNTP Synchronized Time: SNTP Client Mode Is Disabled
! 
vlan database
vlan 160-163
vlan name 160 "NATIVE" 
exit 
network mgmt_vlan 160
configure
line console
exit 
line telnet
exit 
! 
interface g2
vlan pvid 161
vlan participation auto 1
vlan participation include 161
exit 
interface g19
vlan pvid 160
vlan participation include 160
exit 
interface g23
vlan pvid 160
vlan participation include 160
exit 
exit 

The device I am trying to get to is on G2. (VLAN 161)

My PC is on G19 (VLAN 160)

Upstream link is G23  (VLAN 160) 

The upstream goes to a Cisco WS-C3750-48P

interface GigabitEthernet3/0/1   g23
 description NETGEAR switch
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk native vlan 160
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 160-163
 switchport mode trunk
end

The device on G2 is supposed have a default ip on it from the manufacturer, but I am not able to access it. I can see its MAC address in the ARP table, which is what the manufacturer said it would be.. 🙂 

is there a way to sniff the traffic on the port G2?   I can run wireshark on my PC, which is on Port 19. 

Is there something else I need to do to get traffic from G2 (VLAN 161) to go out the Trunk (G23) to my router?   the MAC address on the device on G2 is not appearing in my Cisco switch's ARP table or MAC Address Table.   So I am not convinced the traffic on the switch (Port G2, VLAN 161) is leaving the switch to go upstream over the Trunk. 

appreaciate any help.

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSafe 24 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: vlan access port

Why routing if you want the VLANs on both switches?

On the port (or LAG) that is handling the trunk, configure all VLANs you want to pass the trunk as [T]agged - same config for VLAN (and in case LAG) on both switches.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
native_vlan
Aspirant

ok, so I played around and configured routing -> VLAN -> VLAN Routing 

I am able to add routing for VLANs 161, 162, and 163.  I am not able to add routing for VLAN 160.  nor do I see how routing for 

these other VLANs can go out of the switch.  but it did create routing on the switch.  In doing this, it things the next hop is the IP address I assigned the the VLAN interface.  Why? 

The manufacture's device on G2 was showing up with the correct IP Address with "Routing-> ARP"  

Also, the adjacent Cisco switch was showing up in the Roiuting -> ARP table.  

any examples on how to correctly configure "VLAN Routing Configuration"  under Routing -> VLAN ? 

Is there some equivalent way to configure "route redistribute connected"  ? 

when I configured the IP Address on the VLAN, the switch behaved as though that was the next hop.. ? 

I keep gettting this error "The specified Static Router next hop router address cant the in the same subnet as the service network port"

But the service network (VLAN 160, 192.168.0.22) is not routing anything out... ?

Model: GS724T|24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Why routing if you want the VLANs on both switches?

On the port (or LAG) that is handling the trunk, configure all VLANs you want to pass the trunk as [T]agged - same config for VLAN (and in case LAG) on both switches.

Message 3 of 4
native_vlan
Aspirant

no LAGs involved.  how is this done in the gui?   "configure all VLANs you want to pass the trunk as"

I have VLANs 160, 161, 162,163    I want all this traffic to pass through the trunk G23 to the Cisco Trunk, as defined above. 

opps...  your advice clued me in..  thanks! 

removed all routing VLAN stuff.

then in Switching -> VLAN -> Port PVID Configuration :

G23  -> VLAN MEMBER  becomes "160-163"

Then Switching -> VLAN -> VLAN Membership 

go therough each desired VLAN ID and apply "T" to the trunk, G23, as well as verify "U" on the Access Port. 

I can now ping my device.  thanks again.  I didnt realize how to make the group of VLANS be members in the web gui. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements