× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108 vs GS308 unmanaged switches

Peacheater
Tutor

GS108 vs GS308 unmanaged switches

Cannot find a specific board for switches,  apologies.

Question:  What are any significant differences between the GS108 and GS308 ?  

I want to buy an unmanaged gigabit switch, I am in the UK

I have searched various sites and seen statements such as:

- only the warranty is different

- GS108 has better build quality (metal case)

- one site says GS108 has "passive cooling"  and GS308 has no cooling.

-finally, one site says GS308 is the big brother and says it has "auto negotiation function"  , no block switching architecture"  and "auto MDI/MDIX functions"   without saying if these are not features of the GS108. 

(of course, if I do not know what a feature is, perhaps it could be argued that I do not need it - I just want a fast, reliable, straightforward switch that will be used for streaming data, remote log-ins and regular internet traffic for email etc.

I see both switches currently available on AmazonUK, both with metal case and PRosafe warranty.

Any straightforward advice/answswers welcome.  Thanks.

Model: GS108E|8 ports ProSafe Plus switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: GS108 vs GS308 unmanaged switches

Here'd be one of the switch forums.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Unmanaged-Switches-Forum/bd-p/business-unmanaged-switches
much better to post here than in the mobile routers section. 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Here'd be one of the switch forums.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Unmanaged-Switches-Forum/bd-p/business-unmanaged-switches
much better to post here than in the mobile routers section. 🙂
Message 2 of 3
Peacheater
Tutor

Thanks.  I had tried "start new discussion" and the "switches board" does noit appear in the drop-down menu of options for choice of board.

Starting from your link, if I click "create new discussion" just above the list of posts, it opens a new discussion on the switches board.  But if i click "start a new discussion"  further up the screen and to the right ( just below my profile name etc) it takes me to  a start page that has a drop down menu for board, but no "switches board".

I spent 30 minutes yesterday and around 45 minutes today going round in circles on this site. . . . .Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements