× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Identifying the correct power supply GS608

allegro
Aspirant

Identifying the correct power supply GS608

I have an old GS608 switch that I haven't used in years. I now need it to use it again to accomodate more devices. I have three old Netgear power supplies lying around. Two were from routers, the other is from the switch. But I don't remember which is which. Does anyone know how to identify the correct power supply for this switch?

I no longer have the product box and the online manual has a very generic line drawing of a power supply that really isn't very helpful. It says to look for the serial number, but that doesn't help either. They've all got part numbers and model numbers on them, but nothing that would relate them to my switch or any other device. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6

Re: Identifying the correct power supply GS608

@allegro wrote:

I have an old GS608 switch that I haven't used in years. I now need it to use it again to accomodate more devices. I have three old Netgear power supplies lying around. Two were from routers, the other is from the switch. But I don't remember which is which. Does anyone know how to identify the correct power supply for this switch?

Every Netgear device that I have encountered – mains adapters, routers and switches – has the volts and amps on a label on the thing itself. But adapters don't say "I go with this device", probably because they are interchangeable.

For devices it is usually on the label with the model number. Adapters has it on the adapter itself.

In the case of the GS608, the manual says that it needs "12W max and 12 V @ 1A DC input".

12V is pretty common but newer routers need more Amps. Usually around 3 to 5 A. You won't kill a device with more amps, as long as the volts and polarity are correct.

Message 2 of 6
allegro
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't see any specs at all on the device label. Just the model and serial numbers and front and back views of the product -- and some very small boilerplate text that seems to be related to FCC certification, with a few lines of Chinese characters below it.

The only Netgear products I own are two routers and this switcher (plus a wi-fi adapter that still has the power brick attached to it). I no longer use any of them, but I ran out of LAN ports on my current router and adding the Netgear switcher is the fastest way I can think of to get more of them.

These are the specs on the power supplies, as best as I can read them. (It has been very difficult for me to read text this small since my cataract surgery, even with my reading glasses). I hope this helps:

"AC/DC Adapter":

Input: 100-120v - 60Hz 0.3A

Output: 12v-10A

"AC Adapter":

Input: 120 VAC 60Hz 13W

Output: 5VDC 1A

"AC-DC Adapter":

Input: AC120V -60Hz 0.19A

Output: DC12V [illegeble] 1A

Does any of this make sense to you?

Message 3 of 6

@allegro wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't see any specs at all on the device label. Just the model and serial numbers and front and back views of the product -- and some very small boilerplate text that seems to be related to FCC certification, with a few lines of Chinese characters below it.

That was the detail that I copied from the manual.

12W max and 12 V @ 1A DC input

It may not have all the usual details because it is a 2-0-year old device.

These should work.

"AC/DC Adapter":

Input: 100-120v - 60Hz 0.3A

Output: 12v-10A

"AC-DC Adapter":

Input: AC120V -60Hz 0.19A

Output: DC12V [illegeble] 1A

The second one matches the details I copied from the manual. The first one is more powerful than needed but shouldn't do any damage.

Simple switches are inexpensive. A new one might be more energy efficient.

Message 4 of 6
allegro
Aspirant

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I never would have guessed that adapter would be the correct one, since the wall wart is so much larger and heavier than the others and the switcher itself is so lightweight.

I probably will get another switcher, but I want to hold off for a bit. I'm seriously thinking about building my own router and may hold off until then.

For now, this the switcher is going to be for very occassionally used devices, like my network laser printer, so I don't have to rely on wi-fi now that I live in more populated area and there is a lot of local competiton for bandwidth. 

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Some GS608 version just require a12V 0.5A, as shown on this newer GS605 Data Sheet 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements