× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear XS508M 10G Constantly Freezing Crashing Network Link to NAS

GeorgiV
Aspirant

Netgear XS508M 10G Constantly Freezing Crashing Network Link to NAS

Hi all,

We are a video production company and have built a 10Gb network for our 5 PCs and Synology DS 1821+ NAS with 10Gb NIC in our office. We are using  Netgear XS508M 10G as a switch for it all. In the switch we have 1 port for the router connectivity, 1 port for the NAS and 5 ports for computers 4 of which are using 10Gb NIC and 1 laptop with 1Gb connectivity to the switch. 

The problem is that when 3 or more computers try to work with files directly from the NAS in the same time the switch freezes and we all lose network connectivity. If we take the power plug out and then back in again of the switch it refreshes and the network is back again.

As I read in the switch tech specs it says it's up to 160Gbps throughput and I don't think we even get close to that speed even when working together or am I missing something? 

Can anyone advise me what can we possibly do to make it work without freezing all the time?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear XS508M 10G Constantly Freezing Crashing Network Link to NAS

Probably a hardware issue. Head to https://my.netgear.com/ select the switch affected and follow the [Request Hardware Support]-

The XS505M operating here at home behaves rock solid. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@GeorgiV wrote:

The problem is that when 3 or more computers try to work with files directly from the NAS in the same time the switch freezes and we all lose network connectivity.  

Loosing network connectivity to the Syno, or all other PCs and the Internet?

@GeorgiV wrote:

As I read in the switch tech specs it says it's up to 160Gbps throughput and I don't think we even get close to that speed even when working together or am I missing something? 

This is a pure theoretical maximum what the switch core can handle based on the 8 full duplex 10G ports. No way to "overload" such a switch.

Message 2 of 5
GeorgiV
Aspirant

Hi schumako,

thank you for your reply!

Yes loosing network to all orher pcs, Syno and the internet at the same time. Same for all other pcs. Once we take the power cord out and in again it all comes back until 2-3 pcs start working together from the NAS at the same time again. It can happen few minutes after we just restarted the switch.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Probably a hardware issue. Head to https://my.netgear.com/ select the switch affected and follow the [Request Hardware Support]-

The XS505M operating here at home behaves rock solid. 

Message 4 of 5
GeorgiV
Aspirant

As suggested I wrote support and they even replied on a Sunday handling the situation like true professionals. They will be replacing our unit.

Very satisfied with the response both in here and with support.

Thank you all!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements