× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No network access through switch

JohnJohnsonn
Aspirant

No network access through switch

I have two PCs connected to a switch.

One PC has no netowrk access.

But when I connect it to a wifi router, it has access and everything works fine.

Only when it is connected to the internet though the switch or directly to the cable modem, it has no access.

I tried everything: reinstalling driver, running all the ipconfig commands. but nothing helps.

The other pc works just fine throug the switch.

Both are Windows 10.

Any idea?

Message 1 of 11
No1Mportnt
Luminary

Re: No network access through switch

Have you tried a different port on the switch for that PC?  

Message 2 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@JohnJohnsonn wrote:

Only when it is connected to the internet though the switch or directly to the cable modem, it has no access.

The switch is connected to a LAN port of the existing WiFi router?

In case this Cable modem is really just a cable modem without a built-in and active NAT router), and the switch is linked between the cable modem and the WiFi router WAN/Internet port, the second PC might not get a workable (public/routeable) IP address. 

Message 3 of 11
JohnJohnsonn
Aspirant

Switch connected to cable modem.

Wifi router is connected to switch.

PC 1 is connected to switch has internet.

PC 2 is connection to switch - no internet

PC 2 is connected to wifi router - has internet

Message 4 of 11
JohnJohnsonn
Aspirant

Yes.

It also doens't have connection if I connect it directly to the cable modem.

Only has connection if connected to the wifi router.

Message 5 of 11
No1Mportnt
Luminary

Does the router have a built in switch?  If so connect your modem to the internet port on the router then connect your switch to the #1port on the router switch.  

Message 6 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Just to confirm: It has access to the Internet if connected to the WiFi router LAB port?

Either way, the cable modem (one port only - correct?) must have one one connection direct to the WiFi router WAN/Internet port.

The switch and all other computers mit be connected to the WiFi router LAN ports only.
Message 7 of 11
JohnJohnsonn
Aspirant

I don't want to do that because of two reasons:

1. The internet speed through the wifi router is half of the actual speed.

2. The router for some reason set my IP location 200 miles away from where I am and that cause security issues with some applications.

Message 8 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Older routers (make and model undefined) can have limitations which limit the throughout of your Internet connection (also unspecified).

Depending on the ISP there is only one device getting a full speed access, sometimes two. What you want or not isn't really relevant if you want a working network.

The router has zero impact on eg. the Apple or Google location services - all based in a database in fact. This database is feed from devices with exact location data provided by mobiles or tablets with GPS services.
Message 9 of 11
JohnJohnsonn
Aspirant

It's a problem with the specific PC. Maybe something in its settings.

Because it doesn't work when I connect the PC directly to the cable modem.

So it's not a switch issue.

Message 10 of 11
No1Mportnt
Luminary

That sounds more like the network card in the computer has issues.  Does it also have wifi?  If it does try connecting it through that.  

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements