× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108 types and roadmap?

baschtli
Aspirant

GS108 types and roadmap?

Hello

Is there a roadmap (availability in the future) of the GS108 lineup available?

Regards,
Mathias

Model: GS108|Gigabit Switches
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108 types and roadmap?

The non-managed GS108 and GS116 have disappeared along with the JGS516/JGS524 from Netgear's offerings - these used to be located under the NETGEAR Gigabit Unmanaged Switch Series  where currently we see only the comparable new GS108LP/PP and GS116LP/PP models (except that some fragments are still round in the product comparison). I perfectly understand that many GS108 have been deployed in many small businesses as well as integrated on network connected machines - and that the "non-business" categorized 300 Series versions (without any obvious technical differences) come with three year warranty terms instead of the limited lifetime coverage.  

When looking around here in the Swiss market we find GS108GE (don't be confused - this is the European GS108 model designator, not a Smart Managed Plus one) these are still offered in packs of one (CHF 38.00), two (CHF 71.50), and four (CHF 149.00 - strange volume price 8-) ) e.g. with Digitec - these are unlikely GS108v3 (released around 2009) as the linked datasheet does imply, much more likely GS108v4

Unmanaged basic switches lost the importance in business environments, especially in the light dropping costs of light (Smart Managed Plus) and Smart/Web (Smart Managed Pro) switch model lines. The GS308 (GS308-300PES) is listed with the same retailer at CHF 33.20 - this is about the difference I would calculate for the different warranty coverage.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Not sure what you are behind. Netgear does unlikely publish roadmaps.

When doing the homework, you find on the lower end of Netgear's Switch portfolio:

I'm tempted to state that the basic unmanaged GS1xx series is phased out. 

Message 2 of 6
baschtli
Aspirant

Hi schumaku

Well, there are updated versions (-v3, -v4) of the GS108, so it seems to me, that the GS108 series is still alive.
Also the 100-series is a business version unlike the 200- and tha 300-series (see attachment), which ich why I thought, that the GS100-series is a own line, and not just a older line of the 200- and 300-series^^

So you say, that you never really know when they change the state of a switch to NRND or so?
I would have said this is quite a standard when you have products which can also be used in a business enviroment...

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

The non-managed GS108 and GS116 have disappeared along with the JGS516/JGS524 from Netgear's offerings - these used to be located under the NETGEAR Gigabit Unmanaged Switch Series  where currently we see only the comparable new GS108LP/PP and GS116LP/PP models (except that some fragments are still round in the product comparison). I perfectly understand that many GS108 have been deployed in many small businesses as well as integrated on network connected machines - and that the "non-business" categorized 300 Series versions (without any obvious technical differences) come with three year warranty terms instead of the limited lifetime coverage.  

When looking around here in the Swiss market we find GS108GE (don't be confused - this is the European GS108 model designator, not a Smart Managed Plus one) these are still offered in packs of one (CHF 38.00), two (CHF 71.50), and four (CHF 149.00 - strange volume price 8-) ) e.g. with Digitec - these are unlikely GS108v3 (released around 2009) as the linked datasheet does imply, much more likely GS108v4

Unmanaged basic switches lost the importance in business environments, especially in the light dropping costs of light (Smart Managed Plus) and Smart/Web (Smart Managed Pro) switch model lines. The GS308 (GS308-300PES) is listed with the same retailer at CHF 33.20 - this is about the difference I would calculate for the different warranty coverage.

Message 4 of 6
baschtli
Aspirant

Uuh, ok, I didn't even notice that the GS108 wasn't listed on the top site as the others Smiley Frustrated

In this case I will specify the GS308 as replacement part of the GS108 right away instead of hoping for a "eternal" product life of the GS108 Smiley Wink

Thanks a lot for your help!

Message 5 of 6
bfarnam
Aspirant

From what I can see the GS108v4 is still available for purchase.

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/unmanaged/gigabit-unmanaged-switch.aspx#tab-model...

However, there are some minor technical differences between the GS1xx and GS3xx that should not be overlooked, especially if being used in a business environment and more importantly, the warranty is different.  The GS1xx comes with a limited lifetime warranty and the GS3xx comes with only a 2 year warranty here in the US.  Just be sure to compare the data sheet for each model that you are comparing.

I will always buy the lifetime warranty product, I have replaced a few switches with their next business day swap out and I find that the 100 series lasts longer for me.

Of course, YMMV.

Cheers!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements