× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Model GS105. Only one device will access the internet through the switch

bbloom96
Aspirant

Model GS105. Only one device will access the internet through the switch

At my office, there are only 2 ethernet ports in my space.  I need to add a 3rd device.  We are using DHCP.

I connected a GS105 to one wall port and connected my existing computer and it works fine.  When I connect the second computer, all the connection lights become active and the computer connects, but it states unknown network with no internet.  I spoke with IT support and they checked their settings and all should work.  We even tested putting an Asus RT-N12 router in place of the GS105 and both devices connect.

Any thoughts of what may cause this?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Model GS105. Only one device will access the internet through the switch

Obviously the Ethernet port is limited to two concurent devices (MAC addresses) - very common on ports configured as access ports. Talk to the IT people again...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Obviously the Ethernet port is limited to two concurent devices (MAC addresses) - very common on ports configured as access ports. Talk to the IT people again...

Message 2 of 3
bbloom96
Aspirant

You were correct.  They determined that the port label on the wall did not match up with the switch port.  The port on the switch was limited to 2 devices.

Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements