× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Advice on what to use to replace my ReadyNAS DUO RND2150

David_Hughes
Follower

Advice on what to use to replace my ReadyNAS DUO RND2150

With the new changes in Windows 11 and my Readynas duo is no longer connecting. I need to upgrade to another device. What would be a good replacement that I could either utilize my current drives or I can transfer the data to. Thanks in advance for any help!
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Advice on what to use to replace my ReadyNAS DUO RND2150

@David_Hughes wrote:
With the new changes in Windows 11 and my Readynas duo is no longer connecting.

You can enable the SMB 1 client in Windows in order to continue to access the shares

There is a second issue with accessing the web ui- that can also be resolved, but the solution is a bit more complicated.

@David_Hughes wrote:
 I need to upgrade to another device. What would be a good replacement that I could either utilize my current drives or I can transfer the data to. 

Although there are some things you can do to restore access to the Duo, it is an old NAS and it has been end-of-life for some years.

Unfortunately inventory for new ReadyNAS has been pretty much non-existent for some years.  Although Netgear hasn't said anything, many folks here suspect they have decided to exit the NAS business.  So you'd need to either look at other vendors, or consider using cloud storage.

Synology is a popular brand - a DS218 with new 2 TB Seagate Ironwolf drives would run about $400 USB. You couldn't directly migrate your disks (even to an OS-6 ReadyNAS), but you could transfer data over the network to the replacement NAS.

2 TB of cloud storage is available from Apple, Microsoft, and Google for $9.99 per month.  So it would take about 40 months for a system like the one above to break even (compared to cloud storage).  

The amount of storage you need does matter here - the cloud providers above either have a 2 TB ceiling, or (in the case of Google) have sharp price increases above 2 TB. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements