× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best procedure to migrate shares from one NAS to another?

Ray2
Luminary

Best procedure to migrate shares from one NAS to another?

Can somehone recommend the best procedure to migrate data shares from an old NAS to a new one and still maintain original date/time stamp on all folders and files?

The ultimate goal is to make the new NAS primary and use old NAS for backups only.

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Best procedure to migrate shares from one NAS to another?

What NAS do you have, and what model will the new NAS be?

Message 2 of 5
Ray2
Luminary

NAS 314 4 bay to a NAS 628 6-bay both running most recent firmware.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Rsync backup jobs will preserve dates on files, but not dates on folders.  So you'd have to run rsync from the linux command line to preserve folder dates. I don't use NFS or SMB backup jobs - so I'm not sure if they will preserve folder dates or not.

BTW, this is easy to test.  Create a temp share on the RN314, and then create a test backup job using the temp share as the destination.  Make either the source or destination remote and use 127.0.0.1 as the IP address.

You could just migrate the disks.  That of course will preserve everything on the primary NAS.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

When I did that, I used SSH to mount the share from the old unit on the new one via NFS protocol and then used a  cp -ar * command.

While it will be slower, you can also use a PC and robocopy with the DCOPY:T option.  By default, robocopy preserves file attributes and timestamps.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements