× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CPU fan stuck on full speed on upgraded x86 OS6 pro business (RNDP6350)

mfinney
Apprentice

CPU fan stuck on full speed on upgraded x86 OS6 pro business (RNDP6350)

Just upgraded from OS 4.2 and all is working apart from fan control.  Post the OS6 install, front view reported an extra ‘system’ fan and reported CPU fan running at 0rpm. My guess is, one of the reported ‘system fans’ is showing the CPU fan speed. NB all fans, CPU, memory etc are standard factory issue - there are no hardware mods in my NAS.

Initially I wasn’t concerned because there are comprehensive instructions already within the forum on what to do to fix legacy OS6 upgrade fan problems via editing the system.conf file in /etc/sensors.d and then restarting the readynasd service. However, as soon as I labelled my fans correctly and set fan2 to ignore, the CPU fan rises gradually over approx 1 min and sticks at 3500rpm. The system fan appears fine. 

I’ve tried:

• changing fan max and min speeds
  • setting max cpu temp to 60
  • Both issuing the ‘systemctl restart readynasd’ and rebooting the NAS after every system.conf update

…but the CPU fan remains stuck on 3500rpm.  So I’m stuck. 

It reminds me of the problem I had when the unit was brand new - whilst my fan connector was connected to the IO card (and not the motherboard), I had to perform step 3 (download and install the ToggleSwitchProCPUFan add-on) in the following Netgear Service Action request: https://kb.netgear.com/12240/Service-Action-for-x86-ReadyNAS-Pro-CPU-fan-speed-control to stop the CPU fan spinning at max.  

So it feels like I might need an OS6 equivalent ToggleSwitchProCPUFan type fix.

Any thoughts from the experts out there?  I’ll post a copy of my system.conf in a few minutes…

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6350|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

My Pro6 has the 4-pin fan attached to the motherboard rather than the 3-pin fan attached to the I/O board.  I have not had to make any changes to those files, which includes settings for the non-existent third fan and no ignore fan 3.  What it does have, that yours also has, is ignore temp3 in pro6-fan.conf.  This is a guess, but I think you may need to swap the temp2 and temp 3 commands in the Pro6 file so you ignore temp2 and compute temp3.  That guess is based on temp# being associated with fan# instead of association by label.  The system.conf file in my 4200 seems to bear that out.  There, fan2 and temp2 are CPU.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
mfinney
Apprentice

Here's the default OS6 sensor control files with my mods shown in red...

pro6.conf:

chip "w83627dhg*"

system.conf:

chip "coretemp-isa-0000"
    label temp2 "CPU"

set temp2_max 60

compute temp2 @%35, @%35
    ignore temp3

chip "w83627dhg-isa-*"
    label in1 "DDB18"
    set in1_min 1.62
    set in1_max 1.98
    label in2 "AVCC"
    set in2_min 3.3 * 0.90
    set in2_max 3.3 * 1.10
    label in3 VCC3
    set in3_min 3.3 * 0.90
    set in3_max 3.3 * 1.10
    label in4 VCC1_25
    set in4_min 1.17
    set in4_max 1.32
    label in5 "VCC1_5"
    set in5_min 1.41
    set in5_max 1.58
    label in6 "VCC1_05"
    set in6_min 0.98
    set in6_max 1.10
    set in7_min 3.3 * 0.90
    set in7_max 3.3 * 1.10
    set in8_min 3.0 * 0.90
    set in8_max 3.3 * 1.10
    label fan1 "System"
    set fan1_min 300
    set fan1_max 2100
    label fan2 "CPU"

set fan2_min 150
    label fan3 "CPU"
    set fan3_min 600
    set fan3_max 3400
    ignore fan2

ignore fan4
    ignore fan5
    label temp1 "System"
    set temp1_max 80
    ignore temp2
    ignore temp3
    ignore cpu0_vid
    ignore intrusion0

I've also tried removing the fan2 block in 'blue' completely and removing the 'set fan_max' settings I inserted, but they all have no effect - CPU fan remains at 3500rpm. NB. The fan labels are definitely correct - I've observed the change in fan speed with my NAS side panel off and they correspond.

Hoping someone out there can help...

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6350|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

My Pro6 has the 4-pin fan attached to the motherboard rather than the 3-pin fan attached to the I/O board.  I have not had to make any changes to those files, which includes settings for the non-existent third fan and no ignore fan 3.  What it does have, that yours also has, is ignore temp3 in pro6-fan.conf.  This is a guess, but I think you may need to swap the temp2 and temp 3 commands in the Pro6 file so you ignore temp2 and compute temp3.  That guess is based on temp# being associated with fan# instead of association by label.  The system.conf file in my 4200 seems to bear that out.  There, fan2 and temp2 are CPU.

Message 3 of 4
mfinney
Apprentice

Sandshark, thanks very much for your fast response. 

You inspired me to move my CPU fan lead to the main motherboard (even though mine arrived from factory connected to the IO card). Once I moved the lead and tweaked the default system.conf by adding the line 'ignore fan3' all is well.

Fantastic - thanks for all  your help!  Feels like I have a new NAS 🙂

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements