× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I move my disks from a bricked 524X to a new ReadyNAS 524X and save my data and configurations?

zeke561
Guide

Can I move my disks from a bricked 524X to a new ReadyNAS 524X and save my data and configurations?

My 524X was recently bricked after an attempt to upgrade from 6.9.5 to 6.10.0 firmware. Netgear sent me a replacement and I'd like to install my disks from the old unit in the new one, hopefully retaining my configs and data. Can someone tell me if there is a shot at getting this to work? And if so, how I might do so? Or will I have to reformat the disks and start from scratch?

thanks

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can I move my disks from a bricked 524X to a new ReadyNAS 524X and save my data and configuratio

@zeke561 wrote:

Can someone tell me if there is a shot at getting this to work?

I think there is a good shot at getting it to work, and there is nothing to lose by trying.

I'd start by doing a clean install in the replacement NAS using a scratch disk (not in the array, as it will be reformatted).  Then install 6.10.0 on the NAS.

After that, power down and insert your original disks. 

When you power up, the system should either

1. immediately come up or
  2. install 6.10.0 on the disks, and then come up. 

Which path depends on exactly when the old NAS got bricked.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can I move my disks from a bricked 524X to a new ReadyNAS 524X and save my data and configuratio

@zeke561 wrote:

Can someone tell me if there is a shot at getting this to work?

I think there is a good shot at getting it to work, and there is nothing to lose by trying.

I'd start by doing a clean install in the replacement NAS using a scratch disk (not in the array, as it will be reformatted).  Then install 6.10.0 on the NAS.

After that, power down and insert your original disks. 

When you power up, the system should either

1. immediately come up or
  2. install 6.10.0 on the disks, and then come up. 

Which path depends on exactly when the old NAS got bricked.

Message 2 of 4
zeke561
Guide

Ah, OK, thanks for the info. This BTW is the end result of my portion of topic

ReadyNAS RN628X stuck booting after confirming reboot to install

started by @ronaldvr2132 .

Netgear replaced my apparently bricked 524X.

Message 3 of 4
zeke561
Guide

Thanks, these suggestions worked like a charm. The crucial point I would have missed is that you want to start up the new unit w/ the scratch disk. I didn't realize it initially comes up in factory reset mode.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements