× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't get FTP access to work on my shares

annekrijn
Aspirant

Can't get FTP access to work on my shares

Hi all,

I can't get FTP access to work on the shares on my ReadyNAS. I am able to connect to the server running on the NAS (my client tells me so), but it fails in the authentication process.

Everything works fine on my LAN through SMB.

I use firmware 6.7.4.

I've set up a user acount for FTP access, and it seems to me the settings are fine, but I must admit that I'm a little lost in all of permissions/network access settings.

If anyone could provide me with a step by step guide on how to set up a user account that will connect to my shares through FTP, I would be very grateful. I'm not too lazy to google or to try out different things, I've exhausted all I can think of. I just can't wrap my head around the system and the way the different settings and permissions relate to each other.

Thanks in advance!

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't get FTP access to work on my shares

You are not using FTP, since that doesn't use TLS - you are using either FTPS or SFTP.

In FileZilla, set the protocol to "FTP - File Transfer Protocol" and set Encryption to "Require explicit FTP over TLS".

On the NAS make sure "Enable FTPS" is checked.  You can also set "Force FTPS".

There might also be an issue with the specifics of the password - either the length or perhaps a special character.  If that's a possibility, then try testing with a simpler password, and see if that makes a difference.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you wanting to use FTP on your home network or over the internet?

Message 2 of 15
annekrijn
Aspirant

Over the internet. I've forwarded the necessary ports in my router, and that's working.
Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@annekrijn wrote:
I've forwarded the necessary ports in my router, and that's working.

Meaning you can access NAS using FTP with the NAS admin account credentials???

Message 4 of 15
annekrijn
Aspirant

No, meaning that I can reach the 'username & password' screen, but am unable to login.
Message 5 of 15
annekrijn
Aspirant

But are you saying that I should be able to login to the Ftp server using my administrator account credentials? Which settings should I make for that to work?
Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

If FTP access is enabled for shares (or the admin home folder), then you just use "admin" and the NAS admin password.  No other settings are required.

This assumes that passive ports are properly configured in the NAS and the router.  If the FTP client needs masquearading that also needs to be set up properly.

What FTP client are you using?

Message 7 of 15
annekrijn
Aspirant

I'm using Filezilla on Windows10, and 'andFTP' from my Android phone.

It says "login incorrect, could not connect to server." This is strange, I can succesfully login to the NAS's admin panel with the same credentials.

This happens if I try to connect on my laptop that's on the same LAN as the NAS, and also if I use my phone on cellular data.

As for port forwarding, I've set them (port 21 and the range of passive ports) in my router, and used the default passive ports that the NAS uses. Fom what I read, I don't need to configure masquerading with Filezilla.

I'm positive that I have FTP enabled in system -> settings, and also in the share settings.

Any ideas?

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@annekrijn wrote:

used the default passive ports that the NAS uses.

That's too broad a range.  Shrink it down (I take the expected simultaneous connections and multiply by four).  Use ports in the dynamic range (49152–65535)

However, that doesn't explain the symptoms on the local lan.  You're using the local IP address on the LAN?  Or the DDNS name/router internet IP?

Message 9 of 15
annekrijn
Aspirant

I've sized down the number of passive ports.

I've used both the LAN IP of the ReadyNAS, and the IP assigned by my ISP. The result is the same: can't get access...

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Maybe try copying the filezilla log, and paste it into a post here.  That might help.

Message 11 of 15
annekrijn
Aspirant

Here we go, the log file from FileZilla.

2017-06-15 13:33:03 4052 1 Status: Connecting to 192.168.178.30:21...
2017-06-15 13:33:03 4052 1 Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
2017-06-15 13:33:03 4052 1 Response: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.5b Server (NETGEAR ReadyNAS) [::ffff:192.168.178.30]
2017-06-15 13:33:03 4052 1 Command: AUTH TLS
2017-06-15 13:33:03 4052 1 Response: 234 AUTH TLS successful
2017-06-15 13:33:03 4052 1 Status: Initializing TLS...
2017-06-15 13:33:03 4052 1 Status: Verifying certificate...
2017-06-15 13:33:03 4052 1 Status: TLS connection established.
2017-06-15 13:33:03 4052 1 Command: USER admin
2017-06-15 13:33:03 4052 1 Response: 331 Password required for admin
2017-06-15 13:33:03 4052 1 Command: PASS ***********
2017-06-15 13:33:03 4052 1 Response: 530 Login incorrect.
2017-06-15 13:33:03 4052 1 Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

You are not using FTP, since that doesn't use TLS - you are using either FTPS or SFTP.

In FileZilla, set the protocol to "FTP - File Transfer Protocol" and set Encryption to "Require explicit FTP over TLS".

On the NAS make sure "Enable FTPS" is checked.  You can also set "Force FTPS".

There might also be an issue with the specifics of the password - either the length or perhaps a special character.  If that's a possibility, then try testing with a simpler password, and see if that makes a difference.

Message 13 of 15
annekrijn
Aspirant

Yesss, the FTPS setting seems to have done the trick!

Thanks so much for sticking with me and figuring it out!

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@annekrijn wrote:

Yesss, the FTPS setting seems to have done the trick!

Thanks so much for sticking with me and figuring it out!

I'm glad I was able to help.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements