× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't switch to dual redundancy

vrspectre
Apprentice

Can't switch to dual redundancy

I just got a new 516. It's so much faster than my NV+. I think I'm really gonna like it.

I put 3x4TB WD Red drives in it. I setup all my shares and everything is working. I've got a 4th 4TB WD Red drive i want to install and have set it to dual redundancy.

I've read the instruction over at http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19044/~/converting-and-xraid2-system-to-dual-redundancy

I'm wondering if the problem is that my volume says it's XRAID. when I click the XRAID button though it asks me if I want to switch to flex raid. But what I think I want is for it to switch to XRAID 2. I don't really have any data on it so erasing is not a problem.

Is switching it to XRAID2 what I need to do or am I missing something else? And if that's the missing step, how do I switch? When I turned it on the first time I wasn't given an option. It just built itself.
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can't switch to dual redundancy

Switch to Flex-RAID.

If you don't have data on it then delete the existing volume and create a new RAID-6 one using all four disks, then click on the X-RAID button again and re-enable X-RAID. This will be fastest.

I recommend calling the volume 'data' (no quotes, case-sensitive) as some apps may still expect the volume to be called 'data'.
Message 2 of 8
vrspectre
Apprentice

So I add the 4th disk before switching it to flex raid. Do I need to wait for it to rebuild? After this then it will be in XRAID2 right? So when I add the 5th and 6th drives later it will just auto expand the array and use them for increased storage right?
Message 3 of 8
vrspectre
Apprentice

Also, is it ok to backup the config and reload it after it's in xraid2? that way i don't have to recreate the handful of users and shares again.
Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Switch to Flex-RAID, add the fourth disk, delete the existing volume then create the new one using all four disks etc.

I guess you could try that.

If you don't want to set things up again you could wait for the sync to complete with the three disks, switch to Flex-RAID and you should see the option to convert the volume to use RAID-6 with the fourth disk.
Message 5 of 8
vrspectre
Apprentice

Thanks. I'll give it a shot tonight.
Message 6 of 8
vrspectre
Apprentice

Seems to be working now. Thanks for your help.
Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Good to hear
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements