× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk capacity expansion error. resize2fs (Readynas NV+F

peet1
Guide

Disk capacity expansion error. resize2fs (Readynas NV+F

I'm attempting to upgrade a ReadyNAS NV+ to four 2TB Seagate ST32000542AS. I made sure these were supported under the compatibility list ...

7. The Seagate 2TB LP drive have only been qualified on the following ReadyNAS Products Duo, NV+, NVX, Pro Pioneer and Pro Business.

So the drives initialized and sync into the volume correctly, but when they goto expand, I get this error ...

"Disk capacity expansion error. resize2fs"

The Volume Settings provide this info ...

1630 GB (81%) of 2010 GB used
Ch 1 : Seagate ST32000542AS [1862 GB] 1859 GB allocated
Ch 2 : Seagate ST32000542AS [1862 GB] 1859 GB allocated
Ch 3 : Seagate ST32000542AS [1862 GB] 1859 GB allocated
Ch 4 : Seagate ST32000542AS [1862 GB] 1859 GB allocated

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.peet
Message 1 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Disk capacity expansion error. resize2fs (Readynas NV+F

Are you running the latest RAIDiator, that is 4.1.6?

Can you go to Status > Logs > Download All Logs > Volume.log? What's the "block size"?
Message 2 of 16
peet1
Guide

Yup 4.1.6
Block size: 4096

thanks.peet
Message 3 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

peet1 wrote:

Block size: 4096

As expected. That's your problem. I found another thread with the same issue here: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=28745

Basically you could get a forced/manual expansion to 5TB or backup your data (also do a System > Config backup to backup most of your settings), then factory default, restore config backup, then restore backup.

I'd consider backing up your data and then try using the force expansion add-on: http://www.readynas.com/download/addons ... on_1.0.bin

The force expansion add-on should manually expand your volume to 5TB.
Message 4 of 16
peet1
Guide

Thanks for the help, but I'm not sure I understand your response.

Do I have two choices? Are they as follows; Install the force expansion add on and end up with 5TB? OR backup everything do a factory restore and end up with 6TB?

thanks.peet
Message 5 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Pretty much. When RAIDiator 4 was introduced, the block size for new volumes was changed to 16k (16384) from 4k (4096). This new block size is used for better performance and enables online expansion.

The block size is set when the volume is created and cannot be changed. Currently there is an issue meaning that the current limit for expansion using the old block size is 5TB. Data will be inaccessible during this time. It may take a day or two.

If you try the force expansion add-on, I would still backup your data first just to be safe.
Message 6 of 16
peet1
Guide

I did it. Worked fine (though I'm still copying data back to the NAS.)

It would be incredibly useful if ReadyNAS would post a FAQ about expanding volumes across the ReadyNAS line. There are obviously a lot of caveats and gotchas involved especially when expanding to 2TB drives. There isn't even a mention of the block size issue in the Compatibility List. Because of that I thought this would be a simple expansion. That was unfortunately not the case. Everything worked out, but this could have been done much more simply and cleanly if there was a clear explanation of the issue linked from the Compatibility List.

thanks.peet
Message 7 of 16
ade194
Aspirant

I have had the same problem with expansion after installing 4 TB drives. It became redundant again afterwards, and I can access my files but the overall capacity is the same even though each disc is shown as being bigger capacity. I installed the force expansion patch and rebooted. Despite going through the motions of expanding I still get the "Disk capacity expansion error. resize2fs" that I got after the initial expansion attempt. The postings here don't make it clear to me what was actually successful. The factory reset or the forced expansion? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Message 8 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the forced expansion doesn't work you have two options:

1. Contact technical support (see link in my sig) to get manual expansion or
2. Backup all data and factory default with RAIDiator 4.x (if you still use 3.x you should upgrade). You may wish to do a System > Config Backup as well to backup most settings.

NB: Just in case anyone with a x86 ReadyNas comes across this thread: the block size issue only affects Sparc ReadyNas. Newer x86 ReadyNas use a 4k block size and don't have the expansion issue.
Message 9 of 16
threecee
Aspirant

So frustrating!

After spending DAYS swapping in 2TB drives, I get the "Disk capacity expansion error. resize2fs" message. So, I search and find this thread and discover that THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM, but it's NOT mentioned ANYWHERE in the drive compatibility list, FAQs, NOWHERE! Luckily I had already backed up all of my data, so I'm now resetting the NV+ to factory defaults and hopefully it will be able to access the full capacity of these drives.

What a waste of 3 DAYS! :evil:
Message 10 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What model 2TB disk threecee? What version of RAIDiator are you running?

Welcome to the forum!
Message 11 of 16
corriglionni
Aspirant

Same problem for me and same complaint about notice. I read several post on expanding a ReadyNas NV+ but not once did I see anything about the expansion errors. Lucky for me I kept my original 4 750GB seagates numbered, so after 3 days of swapping out the drives I'm forced to put all four original drives back in and then backup everything to one of the 2TB Seagates. Kinda sucks. My data is the most important thing, but could Netgears people please post on the NV+ or any others affected compatibility page a warning about the block size issue. :idea:
Message 12 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

corrilglionni you can only put all the original drives back in to do that if you powered down then removed all the old disks at once (which I think you didn't do). If you removed the drives one at a time and replaced them with other ones the old disks would've become out of sync with one another.
Message 13 of 16
janomdahl
Aspirant

Exact same problem here wity my NV+. Just bought 4 x 2 tb WB Red. Useless. Any helpfrom Netgear customer support available here?
Message 14 of 16
lpraml
Aspirant

so here i am - same problem, after 1 week of changing Disk for Disk and one "almost-disaster" i thought now i am at the end of that dark tunnnel - just to receive that same error-message - is ther any new developement or do i really have to to a factory reset?
Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

If you have a backup, then maybe do the factory reset. It is painful, but more certain.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements