× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Error 0x80004002 No such interface supported

Lonestar44
Tutor

Error 0x80004002 No such interface supported

Never had any propbles until undating Win 10 to build 1809.  I can access the NAS with RAIDar.  I can access it by serching in file explorer for the  ip address, I can see it listed under storage devices on the right plane in explorer with computer and printers.  It is not listed under Network on the left side of file explorer.  When I click on it where it is listed under storage devices I get the error "Error 0x80004002 No such interface supported" 

Anyone have any suggestions as to what happed? 

Thanks in advace

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Lonestar44
Tutor

Re: Error 0x80004002 No such interface supported

I was fortunate to find  a solution for the issue that I posted for.  What was causing the problem with my system is that NetBios over Tcpip was not enabled, even thou it was shown to be set in the network adapter advanced TCP/IP settings dialog.

I was able to determine that by checking its status  from a command prompt with ipconfig /all.

I downloaded the current driver for my network card, in my case it was a Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller and made sure it was updated to the current version.

Went to the Ethernet properties dialog menu for the Realtek and unchecked everything that was selected, clicked ok and closed.

Opened device manage and uninstalled the network card and rebooted.   Windows reinstalled the card on reboot with the drivers previously updated.

All of the previous settings were confirmed to be reselected in Ethernet properties.

NAS now shows up as it should under the Network tab in file explorer and  functions as it should. 

Interesting thing is I still get the same error when I click on the NAS on the right side of file explorer under the storage dialog.

Hope this is of some help.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Go into "turn windows features on and off" on the PC, and make sure that the SMB 1 client is installed.

Message 2 of 10
Lonestar44
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestion. It was not originally checked and I had enable it prior to the post on the forum and rebooted with out it making any difference.
Model: ReadyNAS RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 3 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @Lonestar44, I don't know the RNDP4000. But I would try to disable the IPv6 protocol on the nas in its network configuration, if possible. Though not actively used, it might cause issues keeping IPv6 enabled.

Kind regards

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hi @Lonestar44, I don't know the RNDP4000. But I would try to disable the IPv6 protocol on the nas in its network configuration, if possible. Though not actively used, it might cause issues keeping IPv6 enabled.

Kind regards

In OS 4 IPv6 is disabled by default, so it's not likely to be enabled.  Though if it is enabled, it does make sense to disable it.  You can check it by going to the network interfaces tab.  Look for IPv6 assignment:  The pulldown next to it should be set to off.

@Lonestar44 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. It was not originally checked and I had enable it prior to the post on the forum and rebooted with out it making any difference.

Try running CMD (type it into the Windows search bar) and enter these commands:

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\c /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real NAS ip address and admin passwords of course. Be careful on the typing - especially the the two different slash directions and the spaces.

The first command terminates any open network sessions - if there are any it will prompt (let it proceed).  If there aren't any it will tell you that.

The second command attempts to mount the NAS data volume (C) as drive letter T.  This requires use of the NAS admin account, and it won't work if the password is still netgear1.

Let us know if these commands work successfully, and if they don't work what errors you get.

Message 5 of 10
Lonestar44
Tutor

Thanks!  That successfully mounted the NAS  as a network drive. There were none mounted.   Which is fine.  Any idea why this does not work like it did, showing it under the Network?  I still get the same error if I click on the NAS under the storage tab.   It seems as though it is trying to download a file.  The whole thing is weird.  I hate Win 10, everything works one day and the next it goes to #@$.  I have used computers since DOS and this reminds me of Win 95.

Thanks again for the help.

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Lonestar44 wrote:

does not work like it did, showing it under the Network?  I still get the same error if I click on the NAS under the storage tab.

The NAS should show up as a storage device under network, though sometimes that fails.  That was also the case with older versions of Windows also, and I don't know of any surefire way to fix it.  

Personally I just enter \\nas-ip-address in the file explorer address bar to access the NAS.  You can also add NAS shares as network locations from "This PC", or create desktop shortcuts that access the NAS when you click on them.

Overall, Microsoft is tightening up on anonymous access.  So I also recommend entering a NAS credential into the Windows Credential Manager, using NAS account credentials.  You can use "admin" for this, or create a user account on the NAS.  If you access the NAS by both hostname and IP address, then enter two credentials (one for the hostname, and one for the IP address).

Message 7 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

I have the same problem since one of the Windows updates.  Work-arounds are stick with using the IP address or add the name to the HOSTS file. I know of no true solution.

Message 8 of 10
Lonestar44
Tutor

I was fortunate to find  a solution for the issue that I posted for.  What was causing the problem with my system is that NetBios over Tcpip was not enabled, even thou it was shown to be set in the network adapter advanced TCP/IP settings dialog.

I was able to determine that by checking its status  from a command prompt with ipconfig /all.

I downloaded the current driver for my network card, in my case it was a Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller and made sure it was updated to the current version.

Went to the Ethernet properties dialog menu for the Realtek and unchecked everything that was selected, clicked ok and closed.

Opened device manage and uninstalled the network card and rebooted.   Windows reinstalled the card on reboot with the drivers previously updated.

All of the previous settings were confirmed to be reselected in Ethernet properties.

NAS now shows up as it should under the Network tab in file explorer and  functions as it should. 

Interesting thing is I still get the same error when I click on the NAS on the right side of file explorer under the storage dialog.

Hope this is of some help.

Message 9 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Lonestar44 wrote "NAS now shows up as it should under the Network tab in file explorer and  functions as it should. "

Great, thanks for sharing this. You might want to accept your reply as the solution to this issue, though.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements