× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Error connecting to remote server to check for update

noopara
Aspirant

Error connecting to remote server to check for update

Raidiator 4.1.16 & 4.17

After a week of trying everything that others have tried, I am unable to update the firmware on my ReadyNas units.  I have two ReadyNas RND2000  V2 units.  One of them has firmware version 4.1.7 and the other 4.1.16.

I have changed the the networks settings many times and the DNS settings to Google DNS and to my ISPs address (comcast) without any luck.  No matter what the network settings are the same error is reported.  I have also made sure that my router firewall is not blocking the traffic.

I have also attempted to upload the image of 5.3.13 using the local update option and via the usb port on the unit without success.  It reported after 10 minutes that it failed.   

I have tried to SSH to the units but it won't connect.  That might be a clue.  I can ping them without a problem and see them on my network and access the shares.

Does anyone have a another solution to this problem?

Message 1 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Error connecting to remote server to check for update

If your NAS is running V4.1.x software, then it is a V1, not a V2.  Netgear had used a small "V2" on a sticker to designate a very small hardware change, then later re-used "V2" for an entirely different NAS.  A true V2 says so on the front, not just on a sticker.  Only true V2 units can run OS5.x.

You can download OS 4.1.16 (the last update for your NAS) at RAIDiator-Version-4-1-16-Sparc and do a local update.

SSH is not enabled by default.  You can enable it with the add-on available at Add-ons-for-RAIDiator-4-1-3-Sparc .

Message 2 of 5
noopara
Aspirant

Sandshark,

THANK YOU for the information! 

I am not surprised to learn that as they are pretty old units.  The sticker on the bottom has a small v2 on it as you describe.  Without ever actually seeing a real V2 version, how would anyone know that what I have is not a V2 version.  I was able to get the units registered with Netgear, thanks to their support team, however in all of those many emails back and forth with them, they never mentioned that my units were v2 and not V2 and that the last version for v2 units was 4.1.16.  They were very helpful in helping to get them re-registered  but they get a bac grade for not maintaining compatiblity with the older units.  It should still connect to the update server and say "no update available".

Thanks again for the quick reply.

-- greg

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

The 32-bit SPARC processor 1GB memory limit of the Duo and NV+ V1 units is simply not a capable enough system that it would be even reasonably fast running a significantly more up to date OS.  I doubt there is even a much newer Debian distro available for it that could be used for the core.

At some point, old technology just gets too long in the tooth to run modern OSes and apps.  Would you expect a computer shipped with Windows XP to be capable of running Windows10 and Microsoft Word?  I suppose there may be a few that will, but anybody doing so must be seeing horrendous performance.

And, frankly, I think OS4.1.x and 4.2.x are far better than 5.x that runs on the V2 systems.  5.x is, IMHO, very "dumbed down" to appeal exclusively to the home market.  There were 4.x models sold for and actually used by commercial users.  OS6 is definately a step in the right direction (though also now growing old), but is 64-bit only so that it has sufficient performance.

Message 4 of 5
resing
Aspirant

This was so helpful. Thank you!

This v2 on the label caused me at least one day's worth of pain yesterday.

I tried so many different ways to get the firmware updated and it wouldn't have occurred to me to use the Sparc firmware instead of the ARM until I read this post.

Model: RND2150v1|READYNAS DUO v1 (500GB: 1 X 500GB)|EOL
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements