× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

File locking

Digital999
Luminary

File locking

We have some legacy applications that are installed on the ReadyNas system or use data stores on the ReadyNas system.  They do not play well in a network environment and we have to make sure that only one version of the program is open at a tiome on attached workstatsions.

PITA -- but better that seperate systems drifting apart.

Is there an app or add-on that could be tagged by directory or file name that would mark the file as dirty and in use.  Attempts to access while it is dirty would be rejected. 

Some of our programs have such a reature, other do not. 

Model: ReadyNAS-4200|ReadyNAS 4200
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: File locking

@Digital999 wrote:

Is there an app or add-on that could be tagged by directory or file name that would mark the file as dirty and in use.  Attempts to access while it is dirty would be rejected. 

There is no app for this.  But I think you could easily write a PC app that checks for a lockfile on the NAS share (creating one and launching the real application if it doesn't exist). Of course it would also need to delete the lockfile when the real application exits.

If I were writing it, I'd encode the PC username into the lockfile name, so people could see who was holding the file. 

Message 2 of 3
Digital999
Luminary

Re: File locking

Thanks for taking the time to reply.   Your answer was what I expected. 

I was hoping to purchase such an app and not add it to the list of stuff the seems to grow loner and never get done. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements