× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Gmail less secure issue

Blues11
Luminary

Gmail less secure issue

I use gmail to send a message after a system backup nightly. I recently found that it stopped working. I went to google and found that the only way to now get it to work is to "Change account access for less secure apps."

Google goes on to say:

To help keep G Suite users' accounts secure, we may block less secure apps from accessing G Suite accounts. As a G Suite user, you will see a "Password incorrect" error when trying to sign in. If this is the case, you have two options:

Option 1: Upgrade to a more secure app that uses the most up to date security measures. All Google products, like Gmail, use the latest security measures.
Option 2: Change your settings to allow less secure apps to access your account. We don't recommend this option because it might make it easier for someone to break into your account. If you want to allow access anyway, follow these steps:
        Go to the "Less secure apps" section in My Account.
        Next to "Access for less secure apps," select Turn on.

I found a topic here that ended with one of the gurus responding: What makes it "less secure" is just that the NAS needs to know the google password.  The authentication and access is secure.

My issue is that this "less secure" option a gmail is a binary affair. It's either on or off. So if I set it to "off" it is then less secure for everything, not just my Netgear server. How can I get Netgear to update the system so that I don't have to allow the less secure option? In other words, "Option 1: Upgrade to a more secure app that uses the most up to date security measures."

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Gmail less secure issue

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Gmail less secure issue

You can try generating an app password ( https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en )

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements