× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up email alert with GMAIL account (RN31200 FW: 6.6.0)

Gianlucam
Tutor

Setting up email alert with GMAIL account (RN31200 FW: 6.6.0)

Hello. I've searched this forum but only found posts that were closed (for inactivity) without a solution.

I'm trying to setup my RN312000 email service to sent alerts but I keep getting authentication errors.
I'm currently trying: smtp.gmail.com -  port: 587  - TLS: checked.   Username and password are, of course, correct.
Error I get: Unable to send email. Cannot send test message. Check authentication settings. Code 5008010001. Error from msmtp.

I've also tried port: 465  (cannot uncheck TLS button because it's disabled), and gotten the same error.

I've seen many posts where it was reccommended to "enable less secide devices", but where do I enable that? I can't find any such setting in my gmail account settings.
I've also seen suggestions to add the google DNS server (8.8.8.8) in the NAS DSN server list, but I can't find where I can add that in the NAS Admin page either.

Please help. Thanks!

-Gianluca.

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|,RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

If you are using a static IP address for the NAS, then you might have forgotten to configure the DNS server.  This is done on the network tab of the web ui.

dns.png

The DNS server doesn't have to be 8.8.8.8.

You do need to disable two-factor authentication and enable less secure devices for your google account.  You don't do this in the NAS, you do this in your google security profile ( https://myaccount.google.com/security?pli=1 )

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you are using a static IP address for the NAS, then you might have forgotten to configure the DNS server.  This is done on the network tab of the web ui.

dns.png

The DNS server doesn't have to be 8.8.8.8.

You do need to disable two-factor authentication and enable less secure devices for your google account.  You don't do this in the NAS, you do this in your google security profile ( https://myaccount.google.com/security?pli=1 )

Message 2 of 4
Gianlucam
Tutor

Thanks @StephenB, I found the google account setting and enabled "less secure apps" that that made it all work.
Not very happy that I make my google account "less secure", but that's another story...

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Gianlucam wrote:

Not very happy that I make my google account "less secure", but that's another story...

What makes it "less secure" is just that the NAS needs to know the google password.  The authentication and access is secure.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements