× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I can't map network drive in Windows 10 home

ldyork
Aspirant

I can't map network drive in Windows 10 home

Had to reset/reload Windows 10 (save files option) on my desktop but now cannot map above drive to it.  I can see it listed in explorer under This pc Network (1) but when I try to map it I get a window with Network highlited but nothing shows up.  I can access the shares through the admin screen but cannot get the drive to map to z: like it did before.  I've used both the server\share address and the IP address but neither finds or maps the drive.  Need help.  This was working before I restored Win 10 os.

Model: ReadyNASRNDP2210D|ReadyNAS Pro 2 2TB (2 x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: I can't map network drive in Windows 10 home

If your pro-2 is running 4.2.x firmware, you should first go into "turn windows features on or off" and confirm that the SMB 1.0 client is installed.  Microsoft is deprecating that client, so newer versions of Windows no longer install it by default.  If you do need to install it, then reboot the PC afterwards.

If that doesn't help (or isn't the issue), then go into the Windows Credential Manager.  Delete any credentials that you already see in the NAS, and then create a new one that uses a NAS user account/password.  Admin will work for this.  If you access the NAS by both IP address and hostname, then you will need two credentials (one for each).  They can use different NAS user accounts if you like (perhaps using Admin for the IP address and something else for the hostname.

Then try accessing the NAS directly from the File Explorer address bar ( \\nas-ip-address or \\nas-host-name ).  Be careful to use the correct slash.  That should give you a list of the shares in File Explorer.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If your pro-2 is running 4.2.x firmware, you should first go into "turn windows features on or off" and confirm that the SMB 1.0 client is installed.  Microsoft is deprecating that client, so newer versions of Windows no longer install it by default.  If you do need to install it, then reboot the PC afterwards.

If that doesn't help (or isn't the issue), then go into the Windows Credential Manager.  Delete any credentials that you already see in the NAS, and then create a new one that uses a NAS user account/password.  Admin will work for this.  If you access the NAS by both IP address and hostname, then you will need two credentials (one for each).  They can use different NAS user accounts if you like (perhaps using Admin for the IP address and something else for the hostname.

Then try accessing the NAS directly from the File Explorer address bar ( \\nas-ip-address or \\nas-host-name ).  Be careful to use the correct slash.  That should give you a list of the shares in File Explorer.

Message 2 of 3
ldyork
Aspirant

Turning on/installing the SMB 1.0 client fixed the problem.  Thanks

Model: ReadyNAS RND2210|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation