× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is ReadyNAS really backing up?

gblasius
Aspirant

Is ReadyNAS really backing up?

Hello - I have a ReadyNAS NV for which I have turned on the Time Machine Share. I have been using the share for the last 6 mos, with varying degrees of success. I have a 425GB limit set up for the share, and use it to back up two computers. Recently, both stopped backing up for reasons which were related to lack of space on the share (I forget the actual details). I started over again, removing the sparsebundles by using a trick suggested in this forum (e.g., moving the sparsebundles to a newly created share and then removing that share). I have then attempted to backup the computers again, creating a new backup for each. All seemed to be ok - the backups seemed to work fine. However, when I checked the sizes of of the backups, one was 80GB, and the other was 810MB. Looking into Preferences, I see that the estimate for the size of the complete backup is 225GB, with excluded items totaling 8.5GB. Both computers are heavily used, and in the past each backup would consume alot of space (I am not sure, but I recall the backup taking over 100GB).

What is going on? How can I diagnose what is happening?
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Is ReadyNAS really backing up?

What version of Mac OS X and what version of RAIDiator?
Message 2 of 7
gblasius
Aspirant

OSX 10.9.1, RAIDiator 4.1.13 [1.00a043]
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is an issue with quota compatibility that will hopefully be addressed in 4.1.14
Message 4 of 7
gblasius
Aspirant

Umm....a) what does that mean; b) what do I do in the meanwhile? Hopefully?
Message 5 of 7
gblasius
Aspirant

Update: It now appears that both devices have backed up...at least that's what it APPEARS to have occurred. Both sparse bundles are now hefty (e.g., each > 100GB).

a) How could a 'quota compatibility' issue resolve itself? (full disclosure - I know not what I talk about, but what was written below. So perhaps someone can educate me on quota compatibilities while they are at it);

b) How can I check that the backup was actually complete?

g
Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

a) Probably requires a firmware update to address. Mavericks is not respecting the TM quotas set on the NAS.

b) On your Mac Time Machine should show if there was a problem backing up your Mac.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements