× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need to replace a dead ReadyNAS 422 (2-bay NAS) with something compatible

WIZZYWIZ
Aspirant

Need to replace a dead ReadyNAS 422 (2-bay NAS) with something compatible

Since Netgear appears to be out of the ReadyNAS business, my RN-422 box has died leaving me with a pair of 6GB RAID drives that have about 4.5 GB of data on them. I need a replacement NAS box that can read the existing pair of RAID drives without reformatting them or installing some kind of O/S on them that would erase the contents. Willing to spend $300-$550 for a 4-bay (empty) unit that will let me use 2 pairs of RAID drives in the new 4-bay box. 2 of the drives will be the ones from the Netgear box, and 2 more will be new 7200rpm WD drives. This NAS relatively light use at home, mostly by 1 person at a time--but lots of big files, 100 MB or a little larger in some cases. I need a read-speed somewhat faster than 100 Mbps, maybe 125 Mbps would be fine.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Need to replace a dead ReadyNAS 422 (2-bay NAS) with something compatible

@WIZZYWIZ wrote:

As a follow-up question... I also have an RN424, a 4-bay version of the same model ReadyNAS on the same network with the same firmware revision the 422 had. Can I remove one pair of RAID drives from the 424 and insert the RAID pair from the 422 and have the 424 read the drives from the 422 so the data could be transferred to a new 4-bay NAS from another vendor?

Almost.  What you'd do is power down the 424, remove all the disks (labeling by slot), and then insert the two disks from the RN422.  Power up, and you will see all the data - and since the system boots from the disks, the configuration will be identical to the RN422.  Same apps, same accounts, same hostname, etc.

You wouldn't be able to leave some of the RN424 in place, you'd need to remove them all before doing the transfer.

When you are done, you can reverse the process (power down again, restore the disks to their previous slots, and power up).

@WIZZYWIZ wrote:

I'm pretty sure the RN422 failure is the internal power supply. The external power supply works fine, still delivering 12 volts. But the 422 is completely dead electrically. No response to the front panel buttons, no activity LED on the Ethernet ports, no cooling fan spinning, and no activity from hard disks. How do I get a replacement power supply? Is there a thread here that discusses replacing the internal PSU? I've got the tools and skills to do a power supply replacement.

A better question for @Sandshark 

But I don't think it is possible to repair or replace the power circuitry inside the chassis.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Have you confirmed it isn't a failed power brick?  Those are easily replaced.

@WIZZYWIZ wrote:

I need a replacement NAS box that can read the existing pair of RAID drives without reformatting them or installing some kind of O/S on them that would erase the contents. 

The only option I know of that will meet this requirement is a used OS-6 ReadyNAS.

@WIZZYWIZ wrote:

I need a read-speed somewhat faster than 100 Mbps, maybe 125 Mbps would be fine.

Do you mean megabits per second or megabytes per second?

Gigabit ethernet is limited to a theoretical ceiling of 125 MB/s on the physical level, but in practice SMB overhead and latency will lower that.  Generally reviewers measure about 106-110 MB/s for sustained large-file transfers.  If you are looking for more than that, you will need a NAS that supports 2.5 or faster gigabit ethernet (and will need a home network that supports that).

Message 2 of 6
WIZZYWIZ
Aspirant

Re. speeds wanted... yes I was meaning 125 Mbps not MBps, and yes, I get that 125 MBps is the same as 1Gbps. As I playback video, the highest res sources exceed 100 Mbps but not by a whole lot. My max speeds needed shouldn't

I'm pretty sure the RN422 failure is the internal power supply. The external power supply works fine, still delivering 12 volts. But the 422 is completely dead electrically. No response to the front panel buttons, no activity LED on the Ethernet ports, no cooling fan spinning, and no activity from hard disks. How do I get a replacement power supply? Is there a thread here that discusses replacing the internal PSU? I've got the tools and skills to do a power supply replacement.

As a follow-up question... I also have an RN424, a 4-bay version of the same model ReadyNAS on the same network with the same firmware revision the 422 had. Can I remove one pair of RAID drives from the 424 and insert the RAID pair from the 422 and have the 424 read the drives from the 422 so the data could be transferred to a new 4-bay NAS from another vendor? If I can do that, then I can easily get all the data onto a new 4-bay unit I was thinking of switching to anyway. I would then remove the RAID pair originally from the 422 from the 424 and put the previous pair of 424 RAID drives back in. Can that all be done without any issues? I would then use the original pair of RAID drives as the 3rd and 4th drives in the new 4-bay NAS.

The alternative to the new-4-bay option would be to replace the power supply in the 422 and purchase a new (non-Netgear) 2-Bay NAS so I can increase storage capacity.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@WIZZYWIZ wrote:

As a follow-up question... I also have an RN424, a 4-bay version of the same model ReadyNAS on the same network with the same firmware revision the 422 had. Can I remove one pair of RAID drives from the 424 and insert the RAID pair from the 422 and have the 424 read the drives from the 422 so the data could be transferred to a new 4-bay NAS from another vendor?

Almost.  What you'd do is power down the 424, remove all the disks (labeling by slot), and then insert the two disks from the RN422.  Power up, and you will see all the data - and since the system boots from the disks, the configuration will be identical to the RN422.  Same apps, same accounts, same hostname, etc.

You wouldn't be able to leave some of the RN424 in place, you'd need to remove them all before doing the transfer.

When you are done, you can reverse the process (power down again, restore the disks to their previous slots, and power up).

@WIZZYWIZ wrote:

A better question for @Sandshark 

But I don't think it is possible to repair or replace the power circuitry inside the chassis.

Message 4 of 6
WIZZYWIZ
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip about removing all 4 drives before inserting the 2 from the dead NAS... sounds like all I have to do then is pick a decent 4-bay NAS and a couple of new hard disks and it's only "copying time" for the most part till everything is back to normal.

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Netgear has never released schematics of any ReadyNAS, and while I've not seen the internals of a 422, no other ReadyNAS I have seen has a separate internal power conversion board and I doubt the 422 is an exception.  So finding and repairing a fault in the internal voltage converter is going to be quite difficult.

If it doesn't even blip any LED when you plug it in, it's going to be something basic.  A bad connector comes to mind, though there are two pins for each side of the 12V, so there would need to be two faults.  A bad electrolytic capacitor (which can often be determined because the top is bulging) might also do it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements