× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2 or v3

TheBarons
Follower

Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2 or v3

HI, I have an old Netgear "ReadyNAS NV+ RND4100 V3" .....that's what it say's on the back of the machine on a Silver sticker. I've read that it isn't really a "V3"  but then I've read a lot of ambiguous information on this machine and I struggle to find clarity. The machine Is metal framed and Silver in colour, bought brand new around 2011. It's currently populated with four 2TB drives Configured In a RAID 5 configuration. I currently have four Seagate 8TB drives available to use. What is the maximum drive size that can be used with this NAS? Will it take the  8TB drives or will I hit 32bit addressing limitations when trying to use 32TB in raw mode or approx 24TB when configured in RAID 5? I can't afford a new NAS machine at the moment so trying to utilise what's available to me. If it cant take the 8TB drives, what's the Max HDD drive size you can use with this machine. Many thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2 or v3

@TheBarons wrote:

HI, I have an old Netgear "ReadyNAS NV+ RND4100 V3" .....that's what it say's on the back of the machine on a Silver sticker. I've read that it isn't really a "V3"  but then I've read a lot of ambiguous information on this machine and I struggle to find clarity. 

This is the original NV+ NAS (called a v1 here).  The v3 on the part number indicates minor hardware revisions.  The v3 was the final hardware.  FWIW, I also have one of these, which is still in service as a secondary backup.

@TheBarons wrote:

What is the maximum drive size that can be used with this NAS? 

Unfortunately, the largest drive it can handle is 2 TB. 

Another very recent issue - the firmware doesn't support TLS 1.2.  Most browsers have just dropped support for older TLS, and will no longer connect to the NAS.  Internet Explorer still does, no idea how long this will last.  There are potentially a couple ways to patch it. Although I don't think Netgear will do anything, there might be some news here on ways to fix it.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2 or v3

@TheBarons wrote:

HI, I have an old Netgear "ReadyNAS NV+ RND4100 V3" .....that's what it say's on the back of the machine on a Silver sticker. I've read that it isn't really a "V3"  but then I've read a lot of ambiguous information on this machine and I struggle to find clarity. The machine Is metal framed and Silver in colour, bought brand new around 2011. It's currently populated with four 2TB drives Configured In a RAID 5 configuration. I currently have four Seagate 8TB drives available to use. What is the maximum drive size that can be used with this NAS? Will it take the  8TB drives or will I hit 32bit addressing limitations when trying to use 32TB in raw mode or approx 24TB when configured in RAID 5?

Unfortunately, the 32-bit addressing limit doesn't work that way.  If the address space needed for the drive is >32 bits, it rolls over, it doesn't truncate at 32 bits.  And it does so for every drive.  The end result will be an even smaller volume than you have now and a whole lot of wasted drive space.  It's a hardware issue on your NAS, BTW, not just software, so there is no way around it.  The only way you can add space to your NAS is via USB (where you are also limited to 2TB, I believe), but your NAS has notoriously slow USB.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements