× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No automatic Backup (full or incremental) Ready NAS 102

Soulution
Aspirant

No automatic Backup (full or incremental) Ready NAS 102

Hello at all,

I am using a Ready NAS 102 (Firmware 6.6.1) and created two Backup. It should backup two local shares with an external USB-HDD on USB Port (at back bottom)

Starting it first everthing is right. It doing a full backup. But after nothing is automatic. No full wether incremental Backup will do. Set the Files at share to Archive Bit is nothing changing.

The only way to backup the local shares is starting manually Backup within the GUI.

Did anyone know why?

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: No automatic Backup (full or incremental) Ready NAS 102

Can you post screenshots of the source, destination and schedule for the backup job?

Message 2 of 12
crazy_toy
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Solution

Do you set up sehedule for backup job?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 12
Soulution
Aspirant

Hello StephenB, I cant found an option to insert a Hardcopy or send an jpg-file. Can you tell me how I can do?
Message 4 of 12
Soulution
Aspirant

Hello crazy_toy

the jobs are scheduled are active from 00:05-23:05 every day.

This is standard for new jobs.

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

There's an image icon in the post toolbar (right next to the chain link).  When you hover the mouse over it, the tool-tip says "Insert/edit image".  Click on that, and you'll get a pop-up to choose and attach the image.  I recommend png format.

With windows, you can capture the screen area with alt-prtsc (alt-print screen), and then paste it into paint.  You can then crop out the extranous parts, and blot out any sensitive information (like public IP addresses).  Paint will let you save the file in png format.

Message 6 of 12
Soulution
Aspirant

Schedule-plan.png

Message 7 of 12
Soulution
Aspirant

Source.png

Message 8 of 12
Soulution
Aspirant

Destination.png

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Thanks.  I was wondering if you were somehow using Windows (Archive) as the backup method.  You are using linux copy (cp command) with these settings.

So 

(a) backups run as you expect when you run them manually

(b) backups aren't running automatically

This likely sounds obvious, but just in case

• the USB drive is connected at ~midnight?
  • the NAS is running at ~midnight?
  • the NAS is set to the correct time zone?

Also, is there any backup log at all?  Do you have email notifications set up, so you'd receive an email if the backup fails?

Message 10 of 12
Soulution
Aspirant

Hello StephenB

you sending me an explanation about linux comand cp that can not start automatically.

Is that right? Why it is shown at GUI the system can run the backup within the adjusted time. So that imply to me

the system starts the backup automatically

I am a bit confused.

The USB drive is always connecetd but NAS dont running at midnight.

The adjustment of time show that backup should do betweeen 00:05 and 23:05. Right?

The system is running sometimes at the day. So I thought the backup will start if system recognized any change at source.

The timezone is already the right.

So many thanks for you  explain to me the NAS how it works.

best regards

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Soulution wrote:

The USB drive is always connecetd but NAS dont running at midnight.

I agree this is confusing, but range of times is when a backup is allowed to start.  This matters if you have a lot of backup jobs queued up.  The first time in the range is when the backup jobs are queued up to run.  If the NAS isn't running at that time the backups won't start.

So either set the backup start time to a time when the NAS is always running, or create a power-up schedule to turn the NAS on at 00:00 and off and 01:00. If the backup isn't done, NAS will keep running until the backup is finished.

FWIW The backup should run even if there are no changes, it just won't back up anything.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements