× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

On Network bonding/teaming

tony359
Apprentice

On Network bonding/teaming

Hi there,

As others in the past, I'd like to use both my Ethernet ports on my Pro6 to see if I can speed up things. My PC has two network ports (1x1Gbit and 1x2.5Gbit). I am aware Windows 10 does not allow teaming so before digging into the internet to see if it's possible anyways, I've installed a demo version of Windows Server and I am testing now.

I have read the conversation on https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNas-link-aggregation-bonding-t...

However, I am unable to increase the speed - well actually I can increase the WRITE a bit, but that's it.

On Windows I have the following available modes

- Switch independent

- Static Teaming

- LACP

And the following "Load balancing modes"

- Dynamic

- Address Hash

- Hyper-V port

I've tried with Round Robin on the NAS - and all the possible modes on Windows - but I did not increase anything. 

The switch is a basic GS108E from Netgear - which has a limited amount of options, not sure if any will apply?

Trying Adaptive load balancing or Adaptive Transmit Balancing on the NAS seemed to have improved the write speed - from 85 to 115MB/s. 

Another thing: when I selected LACP on Windows, my interfaces did not reconnect as they failed to negotiate LACP apparently. Is there a way I could do the same on the NAS? How do I reset the network if I lose connectivity on the NAS? (Just in case...)

Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: On Network bonding/teaming

Your bonding mode is set up between the PC (or NAS) and the switch - so which modes work depend on what you switch supports.

The manual is a bit unclear, but the GS108E doesn't seem to support either static LAGs or LACP.  That suggests the only options on the NAS would be TLB or ALB, and the only option on Windows is "switch independent".

As you are finding, the gains are generally pretty small.  You might also find that you end up with worse performance on devices that are accessing the NAS over wifi or a single ethernet connection.  

While you would have more options if you upgrade the switch, I wouldn't do that just to get bonding.  In general, bonding has the most gain if you have a lot of devices accessing the NAS at the same time.

Message 2 of 9
tony359
Apprentice

Thanks Stephen - as usual.

In fact it turned out that the small gain in writing was the 2.5Gbit Ethernet port - which turned out to be somehow faster in 1Gbit/s mode. I've tested now in Windows 10 on single link and the numbers are the same. So it was not wasted time in the end, I've gained approx. 20MB/s in writing by just using the 2.5Gbit port! 🙂

I hear what you say - and you've mentioned so many times on this forum! I was just hoping to be able to gain something as the MB came with two ports, I did not selected it because of that feature so I was hoping to get a free speed upgrade!

As you say, better switches - particularly those which support speeds >1Gbit/s - are expensive so probably not worth the money.

If I ever decided to get more speed I guess I should look into swapping the whole chain - Ethernet ports, switch, NAS. Expensive but probably the only way to get some actual benefit - what is your thougt on that?

Thanks

Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Your Pro6 has only SATA II support, so the drives are probably going to be a quick next slowdown point to anything you gain with port teaming.

Message 4 of 9
tony359
Apprentice

good point indeed - even though I'm not expecting a tenfold increase. I was just trying to get something better (200MB/s?) with what I have already. 

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

FYI, max SATA II speed is 3 gbps (300 MB/s), which is still much faster than any mechanical disk.  Speeds were boosted for SSDs (and even SATA III isn't fast enough to keep up with them - so the industry is shifting to PCIe). 

Speed also depends on whether you doing sequential large transfers (copying large files for example), or something more random (like copying a lot of small files or browsing a large folder).  Going with SSDs in the NAS can increase performance substantially for a lot of use cases - even with only gigabit connections.  The puzzle is to figure out how to deploy them.  ReadyTier is one option (essentially creating an SSD cache); you can also go with flexraid and create a small SSD volume for specific content (like documents and photos).

@tony359 wrote:

I was just trying to get something better (200MB/s?) with what I have already. 

The various modes work differently, but in general their goal is to increase the overall capacity, but not the max speed of a connection.  For instance, if you had 10 clients accessing the NAS simultaneously, you'd be limited to 10 mbps each with normal gigabit, but teaming would give you 20 mbps each.  Each connection is still far slower than the gigabit max.

LACP wouldn't improve your max speed at all, and generally static LAG won't either.  Each data flow is mapped to a NIC, and the throughput of each data flow remains capped at the speed of that NIC (1 gigabit in your case).  The reason is to prevent ethernet overrun (since most of the time the client only has one ethernet connection).  Note this is a transmit strategy - and with teaming, the transmit strategy is the choice of the sender, and it often is different for both ends of the LAG.  

Round-robin is the one transmit strategy that will increase max speed, since it just splits the transmit traffic between the NICs (sending packet 1 on NIC 1, packet 2 on NIC 2, etc).  But since it is a transmit strategy for the NAS, it only affects read speeds.  Write speed to the NAS depends on the transmit strategy in the PC (and in general the switches between them if they are set up for bonding). 

Netgear managed switches don't give you the option of Round-robin in their static LAG configuration - other vendors might I guess.

@tony359 wrote:

I've gained approx. 20MB/s in writing by just using the 2.5Gbit port! Smiley Happy 

I'm a little unclear on this.  You must be talking about a PC port, since the NAS and the GS108E are gigabit only.

The physical speed would end up 1 gigabit, since that is being negotiated with the switch.  It could be that the 2.5 NIC is doing a better job of off-loading the PC. 

But you might want to check the MTU (maximum transmission unit) that is configured on the PC (and the NAS for that matter).  Increasing the MTU is one way to get a bit more throughput, because it reduces the processing overhead on the clients (processing overhead mostly scales with the number of packets per second, and bigger packets means fewer packets per second). 

Going over 1500 (the standard ethernet MTU) can sometimes create connectivity problems, so if you try changing this setting you do want to be on the lookout for those.  Also, you do want to make sure you look at the settings for all your ethernet clients (including your router), and set the MTU to something they can all handle.

Message 6 of 9
tony359
Apprentice

I thought SATA II was 3Gbit/s (and SATA III is 6Gbit/s) so in my case I'd be capped at 300MB/s approx. Again, I am not looking at SSD-performance here, I was just trying to achieve a bit more with a little bit of configuration and an extra ethernet cable! 🙂

I hear what you say about how the various modes work, thanks. 

The extra 20MB/s are achieved by using the 2.5Gbit/s port on my PC indeed. I suppose the 1Gbit/s port is... not as good/has better drivers/fairy dust - I don't know 🙂

Good idea about increasing the MTU a bit. I can definitely experiment with that.

Thanks

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@tony359 wrote:

I thought SATA II was 3Gbit/s (and SATA III is 6Gbit/s) so in my case I'd be capped at 300MB/s approx. 

Yes, my mistake.

Message 8 of 9
tony359
Apprentice

changing MTU/Jumbo Frame to 4088 - the only one available on my Realtek card which is accepted by the NAS - yields no improvement unfortunately... 

Also, the 1Gbit port is now performing like the 2.5Gbit one - I just never installed the proper drivers, I was on Microsoft basic drivers.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements