× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Password protected folders on the NAS

chri0045
Aspirant

Password protected folders on the NAS

I want to create folders on the NAS which are password protected. Specific users and or groups are to have different read and write permissions. E.g. the children in the house are not allowed to enter the folder with sensible and important documents etc, but they are granted access to the movie folder etc?

How do I do this?

I want the users on my network to see all the folders on the NAS but the users are to enter with user name and password.

E.g. I could have folders for each user, a photo folder, a movie folder etc...
Message 1 of 5
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: Password protected folders on the NAS

It is not possible to password protects shares. Rather, you create user accounts on the NAS (each with a password) and then can grant different levels of access to the shares for each of those different users as required.

This link may help - be careful not to over-restrict access as that can cause you a lot of unnecessary admin work & frustration when access is not setup as you would like
Message 2 of 5
chri0045
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I will study your homepage, everything looks promising.
Is it possible to deny access to the NAS if a person has the password for the wireless network to which the NAS is connected?
The reason I am asking is, that if I give the password to my wireless network to a guest in my house for internet access, I will not necessarily give the person the possibility to access my files on my NAS.
Message 3 of 5
sphardy1
Apprentice

Your wireless network security and NAS security are totally separate
Message 4 of 5
sphardy1
Apprentice

I just loaded the link via my cell phone and access was fine

Edit: Hmmm... previous comment re link issues appears to have been deleted...
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements