× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAIDiator Version 4.1.14 (Sparc) Checksum Error

gheatly1
Aspirant

RAIDiator Version 4.1.14 (Sparc) Checksum Error

Anyone else have a problem installing using a locally downloaded file. After downloading the firmware update from:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25786

. . . and then trying to manually update a ReadyNAS 1100, I get:

Invalid checksum detected in the update file. Update aborted.

Thoughts?? :werd:
Message 1 of 41
vandermerwe
Master

Re: RAIDiator Version 4.1.14 (Sparc) Checksum Error

Have you downloaded the zip file again?
Have you unzipped the file?
Message 2 of 41
Spunk
Aspirant

Recommended practice - after unzipping the update, run an MD5 checker on the extracted update file. The zip includes an MD5 file that shows what it should be. Suggestion - use Nullriver's freeware WinMD5Sum.
Message 3 of 41
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The NAS will check if the file is corrupt when you upload it. The firmware has a header containing a md5sum of the rest of the firmware image. If the NAS detects an invalid checksum in the update file it will refuse to install it.
Message 4 of 41
maf11
Aspirant

I tried loading the v4.1.14 update and got the same result. Then downloaded the update again and got the same result again, invalid checksum. I now have the problem where I my shares on the NAS are no longer working. Selecting a share from Windows Explorer I get the error message:"The specified network name is no longer available". I am able to ping the NAS drive using both the device name and the IP address, but I can't connect. I am able to access the Admin page, although I'm concerned as the status logs only shows the entries from when I tried to update the new firmware.

Using the command net use I get the following:
Status - Local - Remote
Unavailable - L: - \\nasher\common
Disconnected - M: - \\192.168.1.xx\media

The workgroup is the same for all PC on the network. The router doesn't show the NAS as being connected! Yet I'm able to ping?
Message 5 of 41
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

maf1, it sounds like your OS partition might be full.
Message 6 of 41
maf11
Aspirant

Sorry, can you explain. The admin only shows the NAS as being 53% full.
Message 7 of 41
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 2GB OS partition where OS, Config, logs are stored. Sent you a PM.
Message 8 of 41
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

maf1 as I suspected the OS partition was full

Your /var/log/frontview/error.log was 1.5G

As you have SSH enabled we could have used that to troubleshoot this problem.

Should be fixed. Updating the firmware should work if you try again.
Message 9 of 41
surreyalan
Aspirant

Hi,
Using Frontview I checked for updates in the FIRMWARE and let the NAS download the update, as I have always done. I received a system log email to inform me to ReBoot the NAS to continue with the update. I selected the on screen option to shut down and re-start. Evere since that time the NAS is just vshowing a Blue flashing ON\OFF switch. I have tried manually switching ON\OFF but it still hangs. I have 2 x 1TB drive, that mirror, so only 1TB of storage. This has worked well untill this recent update, and I have never had an update fail like this. Yes, IU suppose I was a little complacent, but too late now. Can I recover all the data on the NAS, and what is the best way to get it working again? ThANKS
Message 10 of 41
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

surreyalan I have responded to your case. Please check your email.
Message 11 of 41
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

surreyalan it appears that one of your disks is bad.
Message 12 of 41
surreyalan
Aspirant

As instructed, I removed Disc 2 where 5 ATA errors were showing, and rebooted. Radar still shows NAS as Booting, and in the Drives sector, two green dots show both drives, even though Drive 2 has been removed from the NAS and is sitting on my desk!
Message 13 of 41
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Rebooting the NAS now. It should hopefully update to 4.1.14.

I did see some weird things on your OS partition.

You had a huge 152MB /var/log/leafp2p.log (though that hadn't been changed since February 2012 so I emptied it) and you had a lost+found directory of 558MB on the OS partition.
Message 14 of 41
surreyalan
Aspirant

What would have caused those things? Anyhow, the NAS has now booted and all is well. I will back up all my vital data and then put a new drive into the now empty Bay2, and let the system rebuild itself. Thanks again mdgm for all your assistance. I use my NAS as a backup device to my destop pc and two laptops. I suppose one can't have too many backups. It is a great relief to have access to all my data once again. BRILLIANT SUPPORT, THANKS!
Message 15 of 41
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome surreyalan

The first one could have been caused by lots of messages in a short space of time for ReadyNAS Remote, though it is odd that it wasn't pruned.

The second suggests filesystem issues with the OS partition.

If you have a good backup it may be prudent after you have done a backup and verified your backup is good to start afresh with a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) with two good disks.
Message 16 of 41
maf11
Aspirant

Tried updating the firmware remotely, but was told that v4.1.13 was the latest version. Was able to update to v4.1.14 using a local copy of the downloaded firmware.

Thanks for the assistance provided.
Message 17 of 41
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That is odd. I guess your NAS must have cached the update check info from the update server.
Message 18 of 41
gheatly1
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
Have you downloaded the zip file again?
Have you unzipped the file?

Yup, tried re-downloading. Same issue. Looking for a mirror perhaps to download from.
Message 19 of 41
gheatly1
Aspirant

Spunk wrote:
Recommended practice - after unzipping the update, run an MD5 checker on the extracted update file. The zip includes an MD5 file that shows what it should be. Suggestion - use Nullriver's freeware WinMD5Sum.

Thanks for the link to the freeware!! Checksum checks out prior to upload to the 1100. Then upload works but once the update process starts and it does its own checksum check, it fails the check by the OS.
Message 20 of 41
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

gheatly there are reasons this can happen. Sent you a PM.
Message 21 of 41
gheatly1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
The NAS will check if the file is corrupt when you upload it. The firmware has a header containing a md5sum of the rest of the firmware image. If the NAS detects an invalid checksum in the update file it will refuse to install it.

Correct, the NAS is refusing to install the locally downloaded copy of the firmware file. When trying instead to use the remote file option to do the update, "Error encountered uploading update image" error is received. Check For Update action correctly displays:

A firmware update is available. Click Perform System Update if you wish to update to the new image now.
Name: RAIDiator
Version: 4.1.14
Date: Thu Oct 2 14:08:21 2014
Size: 57583104
Description: Release notes

. . . but after clicking the Perform System Update button, waiting about 30 seconds, seeing the NAS try to process the remote file, the "Error encountered uploading update image" error is received. What else should I try??
Message 22 of 41
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sent you a PM.

There are known possible causes for this issue. I would need remote access to your system to identify which one.

One possible cause is the 2GB OS partition being almost full meaning there is no room on it to store a copy of the firmware image. As the firmware image won't fit inevitably when the NAS checks it, it sees that it is corrupt and refuses to proceed with the update.
Message 23 of 41
Lion78rus
Aspirant

gheatly wrote:
mdgm wrote:

Correct, the NAS is refusing to install the locally downloaded copy of the firmware file. When trying instead to use the remote file option to do the update, "Error encountered uploading update image" error is received. Check For Update action correctly displays:

A firmware update is available. Click Perform System Update if you wish to update to the new image now.
Name: RAIDiator
Version: 4.1.14
Date: Thu Oct 2 14:08:21 2014
Size: 57583104
Description: Release notes

. . . but after clicking the Perform System Update button, waiting about 30 seconds, seeing the NAS try to process the remote file, the "Error encountered uploading update image" error is received. What else should I try??

Hi, I have the same problems when I tryed to update my NAS.
I tryed to update from 4.1.10 to 4.1.14. After unsuccess attempt to make this update, I tryed to update to 4.1.12, because RAIDar told me that my NAS still 4.1.10...
Now, my NAS after some reboots try to boot, power button stop blink and become still blue, after this RAIDar don`t detect my NAS, connected network disk also don`t able to connect...
I have read all posts and I think that my log files are very large...
How can I do this by myself?
Message 24 of 41
vandermerwe
Master

If a full OS partition is the problem you can't fix it yourself unless you are prepared to factory default the unit. This would wipe the disks so you would need to retort your data from a backup. Do you have a backup?
If you have ssh enabled you may be able to diagnose the problem, but you won't be able to fix it yourself.
Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements