× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

READYNAS REMOTE

RobertoATI
Tutor

READYNAS REMOTE

Hi I have installed ReadyNAS Remote  plugin on my ReadyNas pro 4 (rnd4000) and readycloud agent on my windows 10 pro client.

I have done a registration like suggested by the client; following the instruction manual, and other resources found on the web, i have launched remote acess pannel and have written on  the lookup field the same email address used for making the login in Readycloud  client on my pc. the nas reply the message no users were found, so that in my win client i can't find any device.

i need to acces from my home to my office where is the Readynas pro 4 with all my data.

tks roberto1.png2.png

Model: RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: READYNAS REMOTE

I have a Pro-6, which uses different memory from the Pro-4. You need 200 pin DDR2 PC2 6400 (or 5300) SoDIMM memory.  It's safest to go with a 2 GB module - 4 GB modules that work are expensive (and many don't work). Since the Pro-4 only has one memory slot, that would give you 2 GB - which matches many of the OS-6 models, so it is enough.

Based on other forum posts, the Crucial CT25664AC800 and the G.SKILL F2-6400CL5-2GBSQ both work.

4 GB modules that should work include the Corsair-VS4GSDS800D2 and the G.SKILL F2-6400CL6S-4GBSQ

One tip - if you are considering some other module, you can search the part number with google search here (for instance VS4GSDS800D2 site:community.netgear.com) and see if there are any posts that confirm that they work in a Pro 4 or an Ultra 4 Plus.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Netgear closed down remote some years ago, and ReadyCloud is limited to OS-6 NAS.  So unfortunately you won't be able to use either service.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Storage-Apps-Current/ReadyNAS-Remote-Photos2-Replicate-End...

https://kb.netgear.com/22783/What-is-ReadyCLOUD-and-how-do-I-use-it-with-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-sy...

Message 2 of 12
bedlam1
Prodigy

You shoild consider upgrading your Pro 4 to ReadyNAS OS6 operating system

Message 3 of 12
RobertoATI
Tutor

hi first of all thank you very uch for your quicky reply!

looking on the rnd4000 support page, i have seen the the last upgrade avaiable is RAIDiator 4.2.31 .

how can I upgrade to raid air 6 os?

tks roberto

Model: RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

It's important to be clear on the model.  I am a little confused on what you have, since the RND4000 is a sparc-based NV+, and not an x86-based Pro4.  The Pro4 is an RNDP4000.  Even if you have an x86 NAS, there is one desktop model that can't be converted (the NVX - RNDX4000).  Attempting to convert an NVX could brick your NAS.  

Assuming your model can be converted:  

The steps are

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you do want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion.

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (this avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

If you do decide to convert the Pro, then you should also consider increasing the RAM.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, your Pro4 only has 1 GB.  It will work, but it would be sensible to match the resources in the currently shipping NAS.  The upgrade is inexpensive, and is simple to do. 

Message 5 of 12
RobertoATI
Tutor

in attech  screnshot of my ready nas admin page. pls cluld you check the real model?

Model: RNDP4000 (ReadyNAS Pro 4)|ReadyNAS® Pro 4 System Diskless|EOL
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

That is a pro 4 so you can convert to OS-6 using the process I gave you above.

Message 7 of 12
RobertoATI
Tutor

ok, strage things is that on the official webpage the last update is 4.2.31; https://www.netgear.it/support/product/RNDP4000_(ReadyNAS_Pro_4).aspx#RAIDiator-x86%20versione%204.2...)

do you suggest to back all the files before to upgrade?

Model: RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 8 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

The upgrade to OS6 is unofficial.  If you do install it, Netgear will not support you, even paid.  This forum wil, though.  But there is a lot to be gained by the upgrade.

You must back up all your files before you convert to OS6, because the process wipes the drives.  OS6 uses a different file system, so direct conversion of the volume is not possible.

Message 9 of 12
RobertoATI
Tutor

ok i'll do it asap.

tks a lot for your support, Roberto

Message 10 of 12
RobertoATI
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

..................... If you do decide to convert the Pro, then you should also consider increasing the RAM.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, your Pro4 only has 1 GB.  It will work, but it would be sensible to match the resources in the currently shipping NAS.  The upgrade is inexpensive, and is simple to do. 

hi I would like to upgrade the Ram; can you let me know how to do, and the right model of memory that i have to buy? .. could you suggest me where to buy it?

tks and best regards roberto

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I have a Pro-6, which uses different memory from the Pro-4. You need 200 pin DDR2 PC2 6400 (or 5300) SoDIMM memory.  It's safest to go with a 2 GB module - 4 GB modules that work are expensive (and many don't work). Since the Pro-4 only has one memory slot, that would give you 2 GB - which matches many of the OS-6 models, so it is enough.

Based on other forum posts, the Crucial CT25664AC800 and the G.SKILL F2-6400CL5-2GBSQ both work.

4 GB modules that should work include the Corsair-VS4GSDS800D2 and the G.SKILL F2-6400CL6S-4GBSQ

One tip - if you are considering some other module, you can search the part number with google search here (for instance VS4GSDS800D2 site:community.netgear.com) and see if there are any posts that confirm that they work in a Pro 4 or an Ultra 4 Plus.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements