× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN 214 OS 6.7.5. DNLA duplicated songs listed on receiver

MMcD3v1
Tutor

RN 214 OS 6.7.5. DNLA duplicated songs listed on receiver

On my 214 running OS6.7.5 I'm seeing duplicated (actually 3) listings of every song in my music library on my Yamaha receiver running the most recent version of its firmware. The song/files are not duplicated on the actual share.

This was not an issue on my old NV+.

I have tried turning DNLA off on the share. Off entirely for the NAS.

Any advice would be appreciated
Message 1 of 26
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN 214 OS 6.7.5. DNLA duplicated songs listed on receiver

Did you try a manual rescan?

Message 2 of 26
MMcD3v1
Tutor

Yes I did. Both before and after turning on and off. Sorry for neglecting that.
Message 3 of 26
StephenB
Guru

Usually Manual Rescan takes care of it.   Do the shares have snapshots enabled?  If so, is "allow snapshot access" checked?

Message 4 of 26
MMcD3v1
Tutor

Shares have snapshots enables. I had allow snapshot access - it was checked.

I have now unchecked and disabled DLNA then re-enabled and did manual a manual rescan

I still see three titles of each song.

Now I was thinking. My music, pictures and videos are each in separate folders in the same share: "media". This is how I had it on my NV+ And it worked. But there are 3 folders. Could be a coincidence. Absent other fixes you might suggest I was thinking of moving the files to separate shares.. recommendations?

Also -thank you for the time and previous suggestions.
Message 5 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@MMcD3v1 wrote:
Shares have snapshots enables. I had allow snapshot access - it was checked.

One theory busted I guess Smiley Frustrated

@MMcD3v1 wrote:
Now I was thinking. My music, pictures and videos are each in separate folders in the same share: "media". This is how I had it on my NV+ And it worked. But there are 3 folders. Could be a coincidence. 

I think it is a coincidence.

@MMcD3v1 wrote:
 I was thinking of moving the files to separate shares.. recommendations?

You could try installing plex, and see if it has a similar problem.  It includes it's own DLNA server, so you don't have to access the media with the plex app.

Though your idea is also a good one - basically forcing ReadyDLNA to start over on its database.

Message 6 of 26
MMcD3v1
Tutor

Sorry - what is plex? I don't see it in the app store
Message 7 of 26
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've had funny issues when moving media around, but always been corrected once I did a manual rescan. Could the client/player have cached the listings in some way by chance - have you tried more than one client?

Plex is another media server available from Plex - see details about installing it here.

Message 8 of 26
MMcD3v1
Tutor

Could the receiverS be caching it. I thought about that but I have 2 receivers (both Yamaha - house and garage ). Both have same issue. Also when I turn the DLNA off on the NAS, the songs disappear on the receivers . When I turn the DLNA back on it takes a little time for them to have a complete list. They appear to come back in alphabetical order in both songs and artists view.

I thought about unplugging one and restarting but given the above I have talked myself out of it so far.

The problem is in songs, artists and albums view. Now the artist and albums are not triplicated. Only when you go into their respective lowest level of songs where it happens. Songs inside of playlists are not duplicated! Could there be iTunes libraries that are duplicated somewhere that it is pulling from.

I have looked for duplicates. Is there a way to find and erase and DLNA list?

Happy 4th. Please enjoy it talk to you when you free up.
Message 9 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@MMcD3v1 wrote:
Sorry - what is plex? 

A popular media streaming system. Client apps are available for Android and iOS, and several smart TVs.  It also can stream to a browser, and via DLNA.

The client apps and web interface can work over the internet, so you can access your media when away from home.

https://youtu.be/fVBTxZxzrwI

@MMcD3v1 wrote:
I don't see it in the app store

It's  not distributed through the app store, you get it from https://www.plex.tv/downloads/

MMcD3v1 wrote: 

Could the receivers be caching it?

In theory, but I think your testing has already ruled that out.

@MMcD3v1 wrote:
 Could there be iTunes libraries that are duplicated somewhere that it is pulling from?

ReadyDLNA has its own media scanner, so it is not looking at other databases.

@MMcD3v1 wrote:
 Is there a way to find and erase and DLNA list?

I believe disabling the service in system->settings->services will do do that (as will the manual scan control there).

Try removing DLNA from all your shares (from the share list settings), then do a manual rescan.  The players should then see an empty list.

Then add DLNA back for one share, and manually scan again.  If you see duplicates, at that point, perhaps double-check the share for duplicate copies or perhaps shortcuts.

You could also create a new share, and copy just one or two albums into it.  Leave DLNA off on the real share, just enable it on the test share.  That might speed troublshooting.

Message 10 of 26
MMcD3v1
Tutor

Did all the above and then some. Also tried an all new share with music only. I know it is NOT the Yamaha receivers. On a PC which can read DLNA it shows the triplicates. There are no actual duplications showing using the readynas interface or from windows explorer.

On the PC using the DLNA interface I could watch it making the duplicat and then the triplicate(see below). Now turning everything off. No songs can be seen on receiver or on PC DLNA view. Now leaving DNLA with auto scan DISABLED, and before manual scan. - no songs visable. After manual scan w auto scan DISABLED - initially on one version of each song. However about 2 min later TWO VERSIONS showed up. Once Auto scan was Enabled, the Third version would appear. ( all of this on both the PC and the receivers).

When I originally built the 214 I was using 6.7.2 and only has one version of the songs visable. This is a 6.7.4 or 6.7.5 issue I think.
Message 11 of 26
StephenB
Guru

If I have a chance I'll see if I can reproduce this.

Did you see if plex behaves the same way?

Message 12 of 26
MMcD3v1
Tutor

Not yet. I was hoping for a solution within the readynas software. Is there any way to go back to an older version of the software without doing a factory reset?
Message 13 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@MMcD3v1 wrote:
Is there any way to go back to an older version of the software without doing a factory reset?

Netgear doesn't recommend it.

Message 14 of 26
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

A few things you can try.

Check the status of ReadyDLNA at: http://{your Readynas IP}:8200/status

Do you see 3x the number of songs?

Do you have command line access - you could enable logging and check where it's getting songs from. You will need to edit a config file, but it's fairly straightforward to do.

It might be worth starting with a new share with just a few files to simplify debugging.

Message 15 of 26
MMcD3v1
Tutor

Check the status of ReadyDLNA at: http://{your Readynas IP}:8200/status - OK WILL TRY

Do you see 3x the number of songs? - YES 3x

Do you have command line access - you could enable logging and check where it's getting songs from. You will need to edit a config file, but it's fairly straightforward to do.  DO YOU MEAN ON MY PC - CMD (DOS) ACCESS.  HOWEVER  MESSING WITH THE CONFIG FILE  IS PROBABLY BEYOND ME WITHOUT MORE DETAILED INSTRUCITON

It might be worth starting with a new share with just a few files to simplify debugging. - HAVE A SEPARATE MUSIC ONLY SHARE

-- Tony
Message 16 of 26
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Let's see if StephenB has any progress with checking against his RN214 (I don't have that unit).

If you enable command line access (via SSH) on you ReadyNas, you can check the log file created when ReadyDLNA scans your music. It would be best to have a single directory with just a few songs, so I suggest you create a new test share with 1 track. That will make it a lot easier to review logs and try things out.

To enable command line access, you need to get the "Enable SSH" add-on on older units. For the RN214, I think it's in OS6 options, but as I don't have an OS6 unit I am not certain.

Message 17 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@aks wrote:

Let's see if StephenB has any progress with checking against his RN214 (I don't have that unit).

Actually I have an RN202 which I tested with - closest thing I have to an RN214.  It's running 6.8.0-T54 beta firmware.

Pictures, Music, and Videos were all initially empty.  I added three albums to the music folder and three videos to the videos folder, and then did a manual rescan. 

I am not seeing any duplicates anywhere using my Samsung SmartTV as the client.

Message 18 of 26
MMcD3v1
Tutor

Ran ;8200 status- shows 6140 audio files, which is probably right.  So this number includes the duplicates.

if I turn SSH on ( I found) where do the logs show up in the logs

Message 19 of 26
StephenB
Guru

journalctl | grep -i dlna and journalctl | grep -i upnp give some information but nothing about what's in the database.

There used to be a debugging mode available in OS 4 systems - but I don't know how to enable that with OS 6.

Message 20 of 26
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I just tried an old VM image (6.4.1) and you can get debug via SSH command line. This shows the file list being scanned.

A quick initial check would be to look at the config file. From a command prompt (via ssh on the ReadyNas):

# cat /etc/minidlna.conf

This will show the directories being scanned. Maybe they are listed more than once?

Message 21 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@aks wrote:

I just tried an old VM image (6.4.1) and you can get debug via SSH command line. This shows the file list being scanned.

What command did you use?

@aks wrote:

# cat /etc/minidlna.conf

This will show the directories being scanned. Maybe they are listed more than once?

I agree that would be good to check.

Message 22 of 26
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

First disable ReadyDLNA in the web UI.

At the ssh terminal, launch ReadyDLNA manually:

/sbin/minidlnad.bin -v -d -R

I'm not at my vm now so can't check exactly, but the options I used are:

-v verbose
-d debug
-R rescan
Message 23 of 26
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

You may be able to get an idea by looking at the database entries.  Try this from the ReadyNAS command line:

# sqlite3 /apps/.readydlna/files.db 'select path from details where mime like "audio/%"'
Message 24 of 26
MMcD3v1
Tutor

All - made progress. sorry for my delay. my job has occupied me.

With your help I was able to find dulpicates of the actual songs.  Some how inside one of the [share]/ itunes/music folders .i.e, {share}/itunes/music/various -  itunes/music was duplicated inside it.  AND  within that it was dupicated again.

Now I'm still chasing a few duplicates but most of them have been deleted and the DNLA clients have clean list (there are a few transient duplicates).

I confirmed from backups that somehow it happend when the data was restored from the NV+ backup on the external USB drive that was used.  The USB drive was clean but in the upload this weirdness must have occured.  

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements