× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN 516 startup - loop at welcome

teho59
Aspirant

RN 516 startup - loop at welcome

I am trying to start my NAS and it shows the first text "Netgear storage welcome", then the OK button with the arrow ring shows up. Half a second everyting disappers and after 2-3 second it repeats. This is going on and on, fans are at full speed.

I have tried to press the reset button, both alone and when I power on. No difference.

The NAS has been on for several months without problems. I had to shut it down from remote during some maintenance in the bulding and it has been off for 3 weeks. I had the latest software installed I believe.

What to do, how can I make it start properly?

- Terje

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
teho59
Aspirant

An update:

I talked to support on the phone that guided me through a couple of things to try.

I tried to boot the NAS when holding the reset-button pressed without luck. This should lead to the boot menu. Then a USB-stick was created and inserted to the NAS. The NAS should now boot from the USB-stick but that did not happen. Nothing helped and the conclusion is that there is something wrong with the case. I have tried to boot without the disks and that made no difference either.

I will get a replacement. The support guy was patient and did a good job to guide me. Excellent support!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
rmnottingham
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with mine so I'm curious to see what people suggest.  Whatever you do, don't open the cover if someone suggests reseating the memory or the battery as it will void the warranty (if you still have one).  That's what happened to me and now they won't even consider replacing my unit.  Good luck, I'll be watching closely in hopes someone has the right answer!

Message 2 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @teho59

Welcome to the Community!

What firmware are you running? Have you tried checking with RAIDar? It should show you the status of the NAS when booting.

You can download RAIDar here.

Regards

Message 3 of 8
teho59
Aspirant

Hi,

I am unable to see the firmware, it "restarts" after 2-3 seconds. See the videofile attached. There you see the two repeats but it is going on and on.

I did an firware update about 6-8 weeks ago if I remember correct. I think I am on the last or second last version.

Link to videofile, was not able to insert in this reply: http://www.hopso.no/IMG_0364.MOV

Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you the original purchaser of the unit from an authorised reseller and was it purchased less than 5 years ago?

Message 5 of 8
teho59
Aspirant

"Are you the original purchaser of the unit from an authorised reseller and was it purchased less than 5 years ago?"

Why do you want to know that?

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@teho59 wrote:

Why do you want to know that?

He's establishing whether your ReadyNAS is covered by Netgear's hardware warranty.  If it is, then you should probably pursue an RMA at my.netgear.com.

Message 7 of 8
teho59
Aspirant

An update:

I talked to support on the phone that guided me through a couple of things to try.

I tried to boot the NAS when holding the reset-button pressed without luck. This should lead to the boot menu. Then a USB-stick was created and inserted to the NAS. The NAS should now boot from the USB-stick but that did not happen. Nothing helped and the conclusion is that there is something wrong with the case. I have tried to boot without the disks and that made no difference either.

I will get a replacement. The support guy was patient and did a good job to guide me. Excellent support!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements