× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 - New setup after firmware crash

K3N8
Aspirant

RN104 - New setup after firmware crash

Hi,

I've had a crash after upgrading the firmware to 6.4.0 on my RN104. It was stuck on booting. The guys from Netgear were very helpful, but to no avail. I had to do a factory-default on a new 3TB disk. The RN104 now runs JBOD with a single 3TB disk. The data is restored on the single disk. I will format the other drives and set it up RAID5.

What is the best thing to do:

1. Put in the disks on at a time;

2. Add all the disks at the same time when the RN104 is down.

Please give me your thoughts.

Regards,

Alexander

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104 - New setup after firmware crash

Don't format the drives ahead of time, it just gets in the way.  What you can do is unformat them. In Windows you do this with the disk manager - right-clicking on every volume (which amount to a partition) and deleting it.  That allows the NAS to directly add them to the array w/o your needing to confirm.

@K3N8 wrote:

There is an option 3 of course - add them all at once while the NAS is running.

I'd add them one at a time with the NAS running.  The NAS doesn't really care (it will add them one at a time to the array no matter what you do).  However, if something goes wrong, it is easier to diagnose if you add one at a time and wait for the resync to complete.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104 - New setup after firmware crash

Don't format the drives ahead of time, it just gets in the way.  What you can do is unformat them. In Windows you do this with the disk manager - right-clicking on every volume (which amount to a partition) and deleting it.  That allows the NAS to directly add them to the array w/o your needing to confirm.

@K3N8 wrote:

There is an option 3 of course - add them all at once while the NAS is running.

I'd add them one at a time with the NAS running.  The NAS doesn't really care (it will add them one at a time to the array no matter what you do).  However, if something goes wrong, it is easier to diagnose if you add one at a time and wait for the resync to complete.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements