× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 always powers on after shutdown when reconnected to mains

VolkerB
Aspirant

RN214 always powers on after shutdown when reconnected to mains

Hi experts!

Just a quickie: ReadyNas OS6 Hardware Manual (ReadyNAS_ OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf) says on page 58 for the RN214: "[...] When you connect the system to a power supply or the system recovers from a power outage, the system returns to its last state [...] If the system was powered off, the system remains off when the power supply is connected or power is restored. [...]"

That is not true. At least my RN214 (Firmware 6.9.5) always powers on after I connect the power supply to mains. Is there anything I could do to change this? Didn't find a configuration option on the admin page.

Reason is, that I have my RN214 on a switched plug distributor with switch, DSL modem and other stuff which I want to switch off if I'm not using those for a longer time. Since the RN214 supports wake-on-LAN, it's unneccessary that it powers on automatically after reconnection to the mains outlet.

Thanks for any advice!

Model: RN2120|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay Diskless, RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN214 always powers on after shutdown when reconnected to mains

The manual is just plain wrong.  Every ReadyNAS I have, legacy and current models, except the 4200V2, powers up when power is lost and restored.  The only reason the 4200V2 doesn't is because, unlike other NASes, I have access to the BIOS and changed the option.  Restoration to the previous state is what most users are going to desire, so I'm unsure why that's not the actual case.

The typical work-around is to use an UPS.  With the NAS off, the UPS will last a long time through a power outage and the NAS would never see the power cycle.  But if you switch off the plug and induce an outage, the UPS is going to run out of juice at some point as well as be pretty annoying with its beeping..

Message 2 of 4
VolkerB
Aspirant

Thanks for the confirmation. I already expected that - but there was still a slight chance that I overlooked something obvious. My RN214 is more a "NAS on demand", most of the time, it's switched off. I don't expose the data to the internet, so it would be stupid leaving it running all the time wasting energy when nobody is home. Yeah, a meagre 10W when all disks are sleeping, but nevertheless. I'd really appreciate flipping that switch in the BIOS, but I'm pretty sure Netgear wouldn't let me. I don't even know how to get there without keyboard and monitor directly attached, admin password aside...

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@VolkerB wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation. I already expected that - but there was still a slight chance that I overlooked something obvious.

No, you didn't.  For some reason Netgear decided not to support your particular use case.  You aren't alone, this has come up several times before.

As @Sandshark says, a UPS is a reasonable workaround.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements