× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ready NAS 1o4 This site is not secure This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or steal

robsb
Aspirant

Ready NAS 1o4 This site is not secure This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or steal any

Everytime I try to access my ReadyNAs 104 by typing its address in my browser, I get the message below. If I ignore it I can go directly to the site and have no problems running anything. How do I fix the certificate error that is causing this problem?:

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000252 EndHTML:000003341 StartFragment:000001786 EndFragment:000003259 StartSelection:000001786 EndSelection:000003249 SourceURL:ms-appx-web://microsoft.microsoftedge/assets/errorpages/invalidcert.htm?SSLError=50331648Certificate error: Navigation blocked

This site is not secure

This might mean that someone is trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately.

Go to your Start page

Your PC does not trust this website security certificate.
The hostname in the website security certificate differs from the website you are trying to visit.

Error Code: DLG_FLAGS_INVALID_CA
DLG_FLAGS_SEC_CERT_CN_INVALID

Go on to the webpage (Not recommended)

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Ready NAS 1o4 This site is not secure This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or steal

Unfortunately, the browser authors are becoming much more agressive in their warnings concerning self-signed SSL certificates, which is what the ReadyNAS uses.  Their warning is excessive for a device that is on your own LAN and is safe to ignore.  Still, thay are not going to let off and it is high time Netgear gave us an option to install a trusted SSL certificate.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ready NAS 1o4 This site is not secure This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or st...

Hello robsb,

As for certificate error on accessing the Admin page of the NAS please try to access the admin page via http://NAS IP address or check this article

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Unfortunately, the browser authors are becoming much more agressive in their warnings concerning self-signed SSL certificates, which is what the ReadyNAS uses.  Their warning is excessive for a device that is on your own LAN and is safe to ignore.  Still, thay are not going to let off and it is high time Netgear gave us an option to install a trusted SSL certificate.

Message 3 of 8
robsb
Aspirant

I totally agree!

Message 4 of 8
robsb
Aspirant

Re: Ready NAS 1o4 This site is not secure This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or st...

Thanks so much for the link and the suggestion. I will try it out.

Message 5 of 8
robsb
Aspirant

This worked one time, after setting a new certificate, but now is showing the same error. I can still go to the site and use the NAS.

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

The message is shown by the browser because the certificate in the NAS is self-signed.  That would be a big issue if you were trying to access your bank (or really any internet web site), but it is not when you are accessing your NAS on your home network.

It is possible to install the self-signed certificate into your trusted root store on the PC, but this doesn't really change much (other than supressing the warning screen).  It's simplest to click through it.  You can also use firefox to manage the NAS - it lets you enter a security exception, which also will supress the warning.

Message 7 of 8
robsb
Aspirant

I agree with you.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements