× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102: How to migrate the "system" volume to SSD?

dieman
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102: How to migrate the "system" volume to SSD?

I am running a ReadyNAS 102 in a non-raid configuration, and now trying to migrate my data to the newly purchased SSDs (yes, that day has come). Newly inserted Samsung SSDs started working as ReadyNAS volumes without problems - I didn't have to format them by hand. However, I hit a wall when trying to install ReadyNAS apps on the new volumes - they would not install. The 'available apps' section on the NG admin page simply shows no apps available. I recon this is because one of my old HDD volumes was marked as a 'system' or 'primary' volume of a sort (it contained the 'home folders' and apps shares), whereas none of the new volumes has been designated as 'system'.

My question: how to make sure that one of my new SSD volumes is marked as 'system' or 'primary' in order to be able to install apps on it again? I don't need to transfer 'Home folders' or apps themselves - I don't mind reinstalling them, I just need to ensure that the volume is correctly marked so that the app installation works again, as it worked on the old HDD volume. Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102: How to migrate the "system" volume to SSD?

@dieman wrote:

The 'available apps' section on the NG admin page simply shows no apps available. I recon this is because one of my old HDD volumes was marked as a 'system' or 'primary' volume of a sort (it contained the 'home folders' and apps shares), whereas none of the new volumes has been designated as 'system'.

No, that's not it.  It can take a while for the "available apps" page to show up in the web ui.

In the meantime, you can download and install them from https://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9

Message 2 of 4
dieman
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Thanks for the input.

Following your recommendation I tried installing Transmission app from a downloaded package. Initially I received an error message stating that 'Transmission' share could not be created. Then I tried creating a share by hand. The result was another error popup with the following message:

Model: ReadyNAS 102
Firmware: 6.10.7
Context: shares_panel_volume
Error:
Commit failed

However, the share got created.

With 'Transmission' share created by hand like this, Transmission installation wizard completed without errors. The apps folder (seen via SSH) does contain transmission app, and Transmission share contains all usual files and directories for transmission app. However, the application does not appear on the Installed apps list and does not run.

Could you please suggest what I can do next?

PS: while looking at directories in the root, I noticed the following (see attachment): the directory for the new volume (ssd1) has 'write' permissions granted only to the owner - it has the same permission set as the old 'secondary' volume (data2), but the old 'primary' volume (data1) has 'write' permissions granted to the group and the world. Could this be the root cause? How can I have drwxrwxrwt permissions to the new volume folder?

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

What was the process of creating the new and deleting the old volume?  If you added drives for the new volume, then destroyed the old, then that could be your problem. And did you destroy the old volume with those drives still installed, or after removal?

In my experiments, I've seen cases where the apps and/or home directories were not migrated to the new volume.  If that's the case, and you are comfortable with the Linux command line, take a look at How-to-save-your-apps-when-destroying-your-main-volume-OS6 .  In your case, you're not actually migrating anything, so some of the steps don't apply.  But you can use the information there to verify you have an apps share and that the mount file has been properly updated.

FYI, exporting rather than destroying the volume usually works better and also allows you to re-add those drives if you forgot something on them.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements