× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102: how to recover data from RAID-1 disks?

kblam
Tutor

ReadyNAS 102: how to recover data from RAID-1 disks?

How do I recover the data from the 2 RAID-1 disks that used to be a ReadyNAS 102 (FW 6.5.0)? I have SATA-to-USB cradle/cable and run a Windows 10 PC.

Basically, after the upgrade to FW 6.5.0, the system became unstable: (1) it crashed every few hours; (2) rebooting would often hang with a blinking power button, and I couldn'tg reach my volume; (3) if it did boot all the way, and I could reach my volume, the power button would still keep blinking, and soon the volume would become unreachable.

So I pulled the 2 disks out (configured as RAID-1 and tried re-installing the OS through the boot menu. Now, nothing works. When I re-insert the same two disks, RAIDar is able to detect the chassis, but shows no disks. AND the power button perpetually blinks.

Thus, I've decided that I should give up trying to read the disks in the RN102 and just recover the data from the disks manually using my PC. At no point did I do a factory reset, so all the data should still be on my two disks. How do i recover the data from the 2 RAID-1 disks using my PC?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102: how to recover data from RAID-1 disks?

@kblam wrote:

I've powered it down, and re-inserted the two disks, and powered it back up (I've done this before several time, actually), and RAIDar still sees the unit but indicates 'No disks detected.'

Sometimes I've found that actually disconnecting the system from power can help with bios device detection, so I thought it worth a try. Most modern electronics are never really off as long as they are powered.  But it looks like the system is locking up after the boot.  It could be the chassis hardware, something wrong with one of the disks that eventually crashes the SATA bus (or drivers), or something really wrong with the 6.5 upgrade.

You can also test the drives in a windows PC (perhaps with a USB adapter), with the vendor tools - seatools for seagate, and lifeguard for western digital.

@kblam wrote:

Question on the customer support: if I go all the way to a data recovery contract, if I expect that my disks are in perfectly good shape, would the data recovery services produce an image of my disks on a third disk with my file structure and file names fully intact? Or would the recovery be just a dump of all the files w/o any file structure and files named by some some arbitrary recovery sequence? I have some 20k files on these two 4-TB drives, so such a dump of a recovery would be rather useless.

There are several scenarios here.  Tracing one path...

If the chassis has failed (possibility but not a given) then you first would get a replacement RN102 under warranty.

At that point you reinsert the original disks and power up.  Perhaps the system boots, and the original lockup still occurs.

Then you use support again to resolve the lockup problem.  Perhaps at that point all your data is intact and mounted, but if the volume were corrupted, you would need a separate data recovery contract.  

Netgear's data recovery team works remotely, and you would be able to discuss with support the odds of success and what they could provide before you execute that contract.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 26

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kblam,

Recovering data from a RAID volume on a PC is not simple. You must remember that the disks are using a Linux file system format. 

Have you tried support center? They can help checking as it possible that this can be fixed from the backend. 

This discussion may also help you understand how recovering data is done: Recover HDD data from broken ReadyNAS

Regards,

Message 2 of 26
kblam
Tutor

@JennC

Regarding customer support: It's not easy finding a phone number to call, besides the fact that my RN102 is from 2014 and is out of the 90-day window for support.

Regarding the link "Recover HDD data from broken ReadyNAS," it doesn't specify the Windows tools that I might be able to use. I've seen Linux Reader/DistkInternals and R-Linux to referred to elsewhere in these NETGEAR forums. But no guidance on how to use them. I've got on HDD now hooked up to my Windows 10 machine now, and R-Linux is running a scan of it (about 7 hours into that scan). And waiting.

Bottom line:

(1) What Windows tools can I use for read or recover the data (I don't care if it's a paid tool).

(2) Whom do I call at NETGEAR to get some paid support to recover my data and/or 'fix' my RN102 so it can read the two HDDs again?

Message 3 of 26
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kblam,

They do not give out contact number as all customers are required go through this link: http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx?cid=gwmng to see what support channel they are entitled to get.

Data recovery service can also be availed from Netgear support. For Windows tools, or software you can use, manufacturer of HDDs have this, you might want to check at manufacturer's official site. 

Regards,

Message 4 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@kblam wrote:

So I pulled the 2 disks out (configured as RAID-1 and tried re-installing the OS through the boot menu.

I don't know exactly what you did, but it is impossible to reinstall the OS  w/o disks - because the option reinstalls the OS onto the disks.

Message 5 of 26
kblam
Tutor

Well, there you go. I'll pop the disks back in and try reinstalling OS and report back. I just did not want any opportunity for my disks to get wiped in the OS reinstall process.
Message 6 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Make sure you do select OS Reinstall and NOT Factory Default! Read the documentation of the Boot Menu carefully.
Message 7 of 26
kblam
Tutor

@StephenB @JennC: I've re-inserted by two disks back into the RN102, selected 'Reinstall OS' from the boot menu (being very careful to select Reinstall OS and not default reset), waited 3.5 hours, and power button never stop stopped blinking. Double pressing power didn't shut it down, so I unplugged the AC adapter to power it down. I plugged it back in, and it entered the boot up sequence. RAIDar is able to see that it's in boot up, and then RAIDar says no disks are detected, and it's been this way for 3 hours now.

What now?

As far as I can tell both disks should still be good and not corrupted, because before I originally pulled the disks out, I was able to read the volume from Windows Explorer for a minute or two before the RN102 crashed (see original problem up top).

Message 8 of 26
StephenB
Guru

Have you looked at the status with RAIDar?

Also, you could try booting the RN102 in read-only mode (also described in the hardware manual).

Message 9 of 26
kblam
Tutor

@StephenB: Dear Stephen, RAIDar detects the RN102 (it identifies model name, serial number, FW 6.5.0, etc), but indicates no disks detected.

Message 10 of 26
StephenB
Guru

Try powering down the NAS, and removing the power connection.  Wait a few minutes and then reseat the two disk trays.  Then restart and try again with RAIDar.  If the NAS still doesn't see the disks, then contact support.

You can recover the data using a linux boot on the PC - there is some information on that here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-Data-Recovery-How-to-Mount-BTRFS-Volumes/m...

Message 11 of 26
kblam
Tutor

I've powered it down, and re-inserted the two disks, and powered it back up (I've done this before several time, actually), and RAIDar still sees the unit but indicates 'No disks detected.'

Question on the customer support: if I go all the way to a data recovery contract, if I expect that my disks are in perfectly good shape, would the data recovery services produce an image of my disks on a third disk with my file structure and file names fully intact? Or would the recovery be just a dump of all the files w/o any file structure and files named by some some arbitrary recovery sequence? I have some 20k files on these two 4-TB drives, so such a dump of a recovery would be rather useless.

Message 12 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@kblam wrote:

Sometimes I've found that actually disconnecting the system from power can help with bios device detection, so I thought it worth a try. Most modern electronics are never really off as long as they are powered.  But it looks like the system is locking up after the boot.  It could be the chassis hardware, something wrong with one of the disks that eventually crashes the SATA bus (or drivers), or something really wrong with the 6.5 upgrade.

You can also test the drives in a windows PC (perhaps with a USB adapter), with the vendor tools - seatools for seagate, and lifeguard for western digital.

@kblam wrote:

There are several scenarios here.  Tracing one path...

If the chassis has failed (possibility but not a given) then you first would get a replacement RN102 under warranty.

At that point you reinsert the original disks and power up.  Perhaps the system boots, and the original lockup still occurs.

Then you use support again to resolve the lockup problem.  Perhaps at that point all your data is intact and mounted, but if the volume were corrupted, you would need a separate data recovery contract.  

Netgear's data recovery team works remotely, and you would be able to discuss with support the odds of success and what they could provide before you execute that contract.

Message 13 of 26
khushalvyas
Tutor

Hello and regards,

I am newcomer here but I share your concern and had similar problem. I have a readynas 102 with two one TB HDD in RAID 1 configuration. I had some issues with OS and tried to connect the Ready NAS directly on ethernet crossconnection to PC. Did couple of resets and when i started my ReadyNas was broken it says cant mount volumes. The DATA was ofcourse precious, so I removed the HDDs and connected them to PC extra sata ports. booted the machine in windows, the only software which could show all my files was Reclaime, however to save the showed files it needs a licence of 200 $ which i cant afford as of now. So I am still trying to figure out alternative means. Reclaime shows me all the files and previews for my 10000 plus images. Hope it helps. 

Regards

Khushal

khushal.vyas@gmail.com

PS : The new filing system is BTFRS and not many old recovery tools do not support it adequately.

Message 14 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@khushalvyas wrote:

the only software which could show all my files was Reclaime

Some other users have also posted good results with Reclaime.  I haven't tried it myself.

@khushalvyas wrote:

however to save the showed files it needs a licence of 200 $ which i cant afford as of now.

And if the file system is corrupted, it might not recover everything anyway. We hear this story over and over.  RAID is not enough to keep your data safe, and RAID recovery can be expensive, time consuming, and is not guaranteed.  

The best approach is to put a backup plan in place (investing in it over time, and expanding it as your data storage grows).

Message 15 of 26
khushalvyas
Tutor

I largely agree with StephenB,

however something very interseting happened ... surfing through various forums and information .. landed up on Active @ LiveCD with capability to handle the BTFRS,

so .. downloaded the image and made a bootable pen drive.

Connected my HDD from NAS to my PC through SATA,

booted the Active Live CD and VOILA,

the partiions automounted and all my data was there in front of me... 

Had the option of trying to fix the partition but did not go in that direction.

used file manager app to backup all my essential data. ...

its a work in progress and as I write this I have already copied 35000 files and about 120 GB .. another 650 GBS to go ..

throughput is about 70 mbps .. so its quite fast actually .. 

Very pleased with the recovery ... hope it helps

will post final results after complete recoery 

Regards 

Khushal 

Model: ReadyNAS-1100|ReadyNAS 1100
Message 16 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@khushalvyas wrote:

@landed up on Active @ LiveCD with capability to handle the BTFRS, so .. downloaded the image and made a bootable pen drive. Connected my HDD from NAS through SATA, booted the Active Live CD and VOILA, the partiions automounted and all my data was there in front of me... 

Good to know, thanks for following up with that.

Message 17 of 26
khushalvyas
Tutor

Thank you so much .. have other members .. tried and have had some success with Active @ Live CD its Free ... 

Regards

Khushal

Message 18 of 26
khushalvyas
Tutor

And one of the best part is it is GUI based with no requirement  of deep linux knowledge .. 

Message 19 of 26
khushalvyas
Tutor

Recovered all of 850 gb of data, fortunately my disks were fine .. .but no ... safeguard or technique to beat reqular back up s .. cheers 

Message 20 of 26
kblam
Tutor

The solution from @khushalvyas came a week late for me 🙂

Anyway, the outcome of my case is that I paid for an extended warranty/tech support contract for one year since the original 90 day support period had long expired. Tier 2 and Tier 3 identified a firmware or OS corruption that could not be resolved remotely, so I received a replacement NAS unit. After I received the new unit, Tier 3 recovered my data (3 TB) for me onto an external drive.

I had a full backup in Amazon Web Services Glacier that would've taken me longer and cost more to restore, so allowing Netgear Tier 3 to recovery my data was convenient and cost effective.

What I would say is that the Netgear Tier 3 folks really know what they're doing and rocked.

Message 21 of 26
khushalvyas
Tutor

Haha cheers.. i guess.. no cost is too big for essential data and having recovered is the biggest success... so congratulations . .. may i know roughly what were the charges by netgear for data recovery ?
Message 22 of 26
kblam
Tutor

@khushalvyas: I'm not sure whether the moderators will let me post this. The Netgear extended customer support was $80 for a year. Restoring 3 TB of data from Amazon Glacier would have cost ~$300. No no-brainer there.

My lesson that I re-learned here is to ensure I have an up-to-date local backup--I hadn't yet bought more HDDs after my 3 TB backup HDD filled up a couple of months ago 🙂

Message 23 of 26
khushalvyas
Tutor

Thankyou for that input kblam. My lesson ... to keep hdd below 80 % filled capacity. There are possible issues after that. Thanks for the heads up on recovery optiins.
Message 24 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@khushalvyas wrote:
 may i know roughly what were the charges by netgear for data recovery ?

Their prices do vary by geography.  Last I heard US price for data recovery starts at $200.

Though some cases don't need recovery (which is done by a specialized support team), and the normal per-incident support is enough.

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements