× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 Shares Access

Gin25
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 Shares Access

So I have a ReadyNAS RN10400.  I found that all users have permission to write to one share, however only one computer can access that share via the network.  My tech and I have tried to set up individual shares for each user so that only that user and admin have permission.  When we do this we take away Everyone and Anonymous to limit users access and only have admin and the user selected for access control to everything.  This ends up giving no one access.  My Tech thinks it has something to do with Windows 10 Pro and its networking capabilities.  Has anyone run into this problem and been able to fix it so that each computer cannot access each others backups?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 104 Shares Access

@Gin25 wrote:

When we do this we take away Everyone and Anonymous to limit users access and only have admin and the user selected for access control to everything.  This ends up giving no one access. 

Personally I'd leave "everyone" enabled on the file access tab, and control access only with network access.  Anonymous would need to be removed of course.   The share owner/group could either be admin for all shares, you could use the username.

Also, the user's sharename can't be the same as the username.

Testing this can be tricky, because Windows only allows you to use one credential at a time when accessing a remote device.

I think it's simplest to use the Windows Command prompt to test access.

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\usershare /user:username userpassword

The first command terminates any existing SMB sessions that are open on the PC.  The second attempts to mount the user's share with the NAS user account credentials to drive letter T.

After you get this to work, you should open the Windows credential Manager on the PC.  Delete any credentials that are already in their for the NAS, and create a new one using the user's NAS account credentials.

Note you could alternatively use the NAS home shares (which would already give you the desired access controls).  They are a pain to restore from backup, so I don't normally recommend them.  But if you have a lot of users, it would be simpler to set up.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements