× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 314 stuck on "Boot Menu"

manowell1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 314 stuck on "Boot Menu"

Firmware  6.10.4.  Doing some work at home, powered down two NAS units and moved to another switch in another room.  First unit powered up fine.  Second unit, this one, says, "Booting....", ethernet link light appears, then a few seconds later goes back out and display changes to "Boot Menu".  Pressing backup button does not scroll through boot menu.    I followed the  instructions here:

How do I access the boot menu on my ReadyNAS 104, 204, 214, or 314? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Nothing different happened.  "Booting....", then "Boot Menu" and backup button does nothing.

Unit was powered off gracefully and was off AC power for less than five minutes, no other changes.

Any advice, questions, answers would be much appreciated.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi manowell1,

Can you try booting the second unit without the disks and see if you will get the same behavior?

Note: Please label the disks with their corresponding bay before removing them.

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
manowell1
Aspirant

Just tried it, same results.  "NetGear Storage Welcome" for a few seconds, then "Booting..." for about 10-15 seconds, then "Boot Menu".  I'm guessing it was doing the "NetGear Storage Welcome" before, too, I just wasn't staring at it as hard.

So I reseated the drive caddies well and tried again, no change.

Message 3 of 6
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi manowell1,

I think the reset button of that unit is stuck in which is why it is going straight to the boot menu.

If you are the original purchaser of the unit and if it is still within the hardware warranty, it will be best for you to contact the support team so they can process an RMA.

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi manowell1,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as a solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

If the 314 is like most of the ReadyNAS I've torn apart, the reset is notmally closed.  So, a bad solder joint can also cause the button to act as if always pushed.  But some also have a double-pole switch and use both sides in parallel to keep that from being an issue.  If you have the skills and the NAS is not still under warranty, you could check it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements