× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ won't boot

dsmboris
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ won't boot

Hello community.  So after having my trusty NV+ for 15 years it finally decided to stop working.  I can't seem to resesitate it and was hoping that i might get some input here before I give it a well deserved funeral.

Here is what it is doing.  With all the drives removed, when I power it up after about 10 sec deive 1 and 3 lights go solid and stay that way.  Nothingon the front of the unit responds.  Power button does not work, the little led display does not light up.  Just sit there.  I pull the power cable to turn it off. 

If I remove the 1GB DIMM, then the drive letters (I think 2 and 4) alternate blinking.  But the rest of the symptoms are the same.

I tried doing various resets: pressing the reset buttong for 5 seconds after powering up as well as 30 seconds to try to do a factory reset.  Nothing....  Anything else I shoud try?  TIA!

Model: RND4450v1|READYNAS NV+ v1 (2TB: 4 X 500GB)|EOL
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ won't boot

@dsmboris wrote:

With all the drives removed, when I power it up after about 10 sec drive 1 and 3 lights go solid and stay that way.  

Try a USB or TFTP recovery.  https://kb.netgear.com/21400/RAIDiator-4-1-USB-Recovery-Tool

Message 2 of 13
dsmboris
Aspirant

Hi.  Thanks for the suggestion but that KB article page says that applies to the following models and my NV+ v1 is not listed.  Should I try it anyway?

supported models for that USB Recovery trick are:

Desktop - Home (23)

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@dsmboris wrote:

Hi.  Thanks for the suggestion but that KB article page says that applies to the following models and my NV+ v1 is not listed. 

Your NV+ is also known as the RND4000.  so it is listed, and I think you should try the procedure.

Message 4 of 13
dsmboris
Aspirant

Thanks. Went ahead and tried it and it didn’t work. Holding the power button, after 4-5 seconds, the LEDs start blinking: first drive 2 LED followed by 1, 3 and 4 LEDs together. They just alternate blinking. And that is all the unit does no matter how long I depress the power button.
Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@dsmboris wrote:
 the LEDs start blinking: first drive 2 LED followed by 1, 3 and 4 LEDs together. They just alternate blinking. And that is all the unit does no matter how long I depress the power button.

That sounds like you might have a memory failure - at least the LED pattern matches the SPD failure here: https://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/support/ReadyNAS-LED

You could try replacing the memory - it's inexpensive and easy to do.

Message 6 of 13
dsmboris
Aspirant

Thanks again for your guidance.
Do you by chance know how to resist or replace them? Can the SODIMMs be ordered from Netgear? I did have a 1GB expansion dimm in the unit but pulled it out when I started troubleshooting.
Message 7 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Well, if you've already tried it with the 1GB expansion and the original 256K, it's likely not the RAM.

Message 8 of 13
dsmboris
Aspirant

Sorry I wasn’t clear and after reason the info in the last linked article it dawned on me that I replaced the original 256MB sodimm with the upgraded 1GB one. So maybe it is the 1GB dimm that failed. I can’t find the original one and I assume you have to have a dimm in the unit to try a reset or a usb OS restore. Sooo I am going to order a new dimm. I found one on Newegg which I hope will work. Does it look like the right dimm? TIA!
Message 9 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

It has been a very long time since I used an NV+, but I believe it was a PC2700 SODIMM.  Googling should help confirm.  But before you do that, did you run  the memory test?  I'm afraid I don't have a handy link to that, either, but it's one of the options from the start-up menu.

Message 10 of 13
dsmboris
Aspirant

I did not run a mem test.  My unit locks up a few seconds into power up so I am unable to do anyting to be honest.  Thanks for the suggestion on confirm the dimm type.

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I believe it was a PC2700 SODIMM.  

That's also what I see when I search the forum.

Message 12 of 13
dsmboris
Aspirant

Dimm replaced. I am back in business! Thanks all!
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements