× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN31200 Won't Boot

jonaldo
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN31200 Won't Boot

Hi all

Was wondering if someone could help me.

I've been using my ReadyNAS RN31200 for many years now with no problems whatsoever.

We had a powercut today and when the power came back on, the fan on my readynas is spinning loudly but there are no lights at all on the front? If i turn it off and switch it back on, the power light flashes for about 10 seconds, then goes solid blue. After about 5 seconds it flashes once then goes off altogether and won't come back on. It just sits there with the fan going.

RAIDar can't find anything and i have also plugged it directly into my laptop but still no joy

Any ideas on what it could be or how i can fix it?

If you need any more info let me know.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RN31200 Won't Boot

@jonaldo wrote:

Do i take it that my NAS is knackered or is there anything else i could try?

It sounds like it is dead.  But you could try a USB recovery as a last resort.  https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system. It's quite fussy about flash drives - older ones tend to work better.

If you purchase a new ReadyNAS, you can directly migrate the disks.  It's best to get an RN420 series or better (those are x86 platforms like your current NAS).  The RN422 is the replacement for the RN312 (which was discontinued some months ago).

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 21

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you remove the disks (labeling by slot) and then start up the NAS, does RAIDar find it?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Message 2 of 21
jonaldo
Aspirant

Hi and thanks for the reply

I have tried it without disk(s) as well and still nothing shows up in RAIDar

Message 3 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@jonaldo wrote:

I have tried it without disk(s) as well and still nothing shows up in RAIDar

It sounds to me like either the chassis or the power brick has failed.

If you are the original purchaser, then I recommend checking your warranty status at my.netgear.com, and if you are still covered then initiate an RMA from there ("replace my defective product" on https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/portal/myOnlineTicket.aspx).

If you aren't covered by warranty, then you could try a risk-buy of a replacement power brick (3rd party adapters are available for about $20 US on Amazon).

Message 4 of 21
jonaldo
Aspirant

Hi

Unfortunately it was bought back in 2013 and looking on mynetgear everything has expired.

Is there a model number for a 3rd party one or a link perhaps so i know i am getting the right one?

Am from the UK so hopefully they will be on Amazon UK as well.

Message 5 of 21
jonaldo
Aspirant

Also can i just confirm is it the black 'brick' part of the psu i need to replace?

Message 6 of 21
StephenB
Guru

I don't own this particular model, so I can't search on the details of the brick specifications (amperage, voltage, connector, polarity).

There are several options shown on the US amazon site (searching for RN312 power adapter), but they don't show up on the UK site.  If you can't sort out the specs from your existing brick, you might need to go with international shipping - unless someone here chimes in with a UK link.  

@jonaldo wrote: Also can i just confirm is it the black 'brick' part of the psu i need to replace?

Yes.  Again, this is a risk buy - we don't have enough information to know if the problem is the power brick.

Of course another option is to replace the NAS.  You can directly migrate your disks to an RN422 for instance (or any RN400, RN500, or RN600 ReadyNAS).

Message 7 of 21
bedlam1
Prodigy

@jonaldo Please post details of the brick specifications (amperage, voltage, connector, polarity) from your existing PSU as suggested by @StephenB

I am in UK

Message 8 of 21
jonaldo
Aspirant

Apologies for the late reply, am currently working away, am back on wednesday so will post details/pictures of the brick then.

Thanks

Message 9 of 21
jonaldo
Aspirant

Hi all

Ok have attached an image of my psu, hope that helps.IMG_7375.JPG

Message 10 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Message 11 of 21
bedlam1
Prodigy

Well done @StephenB

I cannot see the image above so was waiting for it to appear before searching

Message 12 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

I cannot see the image above so was waiting for it to appear before searching

Netgear is getting behind on releasing images from quarantine.  Thanks for letting me know, I released the image.

Message 13 of 21
bedlam1
Prodigy

@StephenB I confused you, your image was available, it is the image posted by @jonaldo that I cannot see

Message 14 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

it is the image posted by @jonaldo that I cannot see

I understood that.  The forum software will automatically quarantine some images (as part of spam prevention).  When it does that, I can still see them, but others can't.

Once you mentioned that you couldn't see it, I realized that his image was still pending approval, so I went in and released it.

Message 15 of 21
jonaldo
Aspirant

Hi all

Well i've finally manage to try a new brick power supply and no joy, still the same problem as described in my first post.

Thanks for all your help so far, much appreciated 🙂

Message 16 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@jonaldo wrote:

It sounds like it is dead.  But you could try a USB recovery as a last resort.  https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system. It's quite fussy about flash drives - older ones tend to work better.

If you purchase a new ReadyNAS, you can directly migrate the disks.  It's best to get an RN420 series or better (those are x86 platforms like your current NAS).  The RN422 is the replacement for the RN312 (which was discontinued some months ago).

Message 17 of 21
jonaldo
Aspirant

Thanks for that stephen, ok a bit of an update.

I hooked up my NAS to my tv using hdmi and have attached a picture of what it shows when trying to boot with no hard drives in and without any usb stick in ie the error as reported in my first post.

I have also tried booting with a USB stick, i think i am doing it correctly for my model, i'm holding down the backup button when turning the NAS on. The screen shows 'american megatrends' then just hangs stating boot error. Not sure if it's the usb stick so am trying another as i type.

Does the log picture help at all?netgear.JPG

Message 18 of 21
jonaldo
Aspirant

Well what do you know i am back up and running!

USB recovery worked a treat, reinstalled the hard drive and all is working ok 🙂

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all your help, would never have done it without you.

Cheers

Jon

Message 19 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@jonaldo wrote:

Well what do you know i am back up and running!

Great!

Message 20 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Great!

That photo would suggest that the NAS was doing a normal boot (you can see the kernel version is the one for 6.9.3) not booting off your USB key on that attempt. You can see in the Call trace the words "mount_block_root". On systems with a display on the front that snippet of the Call trace would be shown.

USB Boot Recovery is the solution for this particular problem. USB Boot Recovery is very rarely the solution to a problem, but in this particular case it is.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements