× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS stopped syncing with OneDrive after reboot

Eric-s
Guide

ReadyNAS stopped syncing with OneDrive after reboot

This weekend, my NAS stopped syncing with OneDrive. I have seen other threads on similar topic (Dropbox, Amazon, etc), but none of the answers were helpful, so I apoligize for starting again.

I have been using OneDrive for a while without incident, then it just stopped, with error:

"System: Unauthorized. It could be invalid user account credential or the app is not allowed to access cloud drive. Stopped syncing with One Drive."

According to the Log, the first failure occurred shortly after a clean shut down and re-start of the NAS.

ReadyNAS 214, Firmware 6.10.3

Currently, the OneDrive feature under the "Cloud" tab on Admin page shows "Off". If I click to "ON" OneDrive restarts, but then encounters the same error and switches back to "Off".

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay, RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Eric-s
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS stopped syncing with OneDrive after reboot

I FOUND A SOLUTION.

When OneDrive gives a login error, you can "reset" it thus:

1. Open ReadyNAS Admin page and log in.

2. Go to the Cloud tab at the top.

3. Microsoft OneDrive should be one of the offered apps.

At this point, the slide switch may be "OFF". For me, switching it back to ON merely repeated the Login Error. Do not change this Switch at this time.

4. Click "settings" under OneDrive.

5. Under "Sync Direction", select the MINUS Icon next to the GEAR icon.

6. A popup asks you to Confirm Deletion. Select "Yes"

7. Now go back to the OneDrive section on the ReadyNAS-Cloud screen and move the slide-switch back to ON.

8. This should prompt you to set up OneDrive again. Re-select the same original storage folder on your NAS. For me it was:

Local Path "/data/OneDrive"

Cloud Storage Path "/"  (I chose the root folder on Microsoft OneDrive's website)

9. By choosing the prior (existing) folder on NAS when setting up again, I found that Microsoft began syncing again without any loss of data.

Again, thanks for the help, JohnCM. Maybe this will help others in the future.

By the way, after completing the above steps, the "Leave" button appeared. Apparently, what I did above replicated the Leave function manually.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Eric-s,

Welcome to the Community!

Can you download the full system logs of the NAS and check the one-drive.log? You may able to find some clues there on what is causing the issue.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
Eric-s
Guide

Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure how to upload the NAS system log. I downloaded it to my computer, and it was a ZIP file, but this Forum "attach a file" does not accept zip, only PDF or similar. If I extract the zip, it is a long list of .log files, also not an allowed upload extension.

More info: I had updated firmware to 6.10.3 on March 27, and everything worked fine. Yesterday, I tried down-grading to 6.10.2, but the problem did not resolve.

As for a "one drive log", I have no idea where to find it. Indeed, part of my frustration with the current NAS system is that I cannot figure out how to get back to my MS OneDrive login credentials to update/correct/re-submit when NAS tries to log into Microsoft.  It seems that you only enter your credentials upon first setup, then the NAS never offers you another opportunity.  (I am referring to the OneDrive Settings link on the NAS Cloud page - clicking on this only tells me what folder was allocated on the NAS with no discussion about login credentials).

As you can see, I am quite a novice with this Forum and its functions.

Message 3 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Eric-s,

You may upload the system log to a file-sharing site (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc) then send me the download link via private message. You can send a private message by clicking the envelope icon on the upper right corner of the page.

Also, just to verify, do you still have the same issue on OneDrive even after updating the firmware to 6.10.3?

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
Eric-s
Guide

I just sent a PM with a link to shared folder with System Log.

In answer to your question:

I originally started OneDrive with Firmware 6.10.2 (OneDrive "beta")

I installed the 6.10.3 udate months ago, and OneDrive continued to function.

After a shutdown and reboot on July 29, OneDrive stopped working.  (The files are still on the NAS, but the sync has stopped.)

Message 5 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Eric-s,

On the ReadyNAS admin page, do you see the Leave button under One Drive? If you see it, you can try leaving then rejoining the NAS to OneDrive and check if you will still have the same issue after doing that.

Regards,

Message 6 of 8
Eric-s
Guide

JohnCM:

On the Cloud tab in Admin, I am looking at the "Microsoft OneDrive" section. My only choices are "Off/On" and "Settings".  I see nothing useful under Settings. Also, since it will not stay "on" because of the authentication error, I don't have a "leave".  I suppose you cannot Leave something that you are not currently connected to.  

I am thinking that I just need to compeltely delete the mirror of OneDrive from the NAS and start over. Perhaps that will let me "log in" again.  I think it is trying read the login information from the NAS OneDrive folder, and as long as there is a OneDrive folder, the NAS software will not allow me to go back one step and type in my login credentials again.

If I am right, then the "bug" that needs to be fixed in ReadyNAS is to offer me the option to reset/login again under the "Microsoft OneDrive" app, perhaps as a new choice under the "Settings" tab.

I had two days worth of work where I created new files and updated existing ones on the NAS device only. After this error, it took about 4 hours to locate everything that had been changed and copy those changes to another computer to re-sync with Microsoft. Quite an inconvience since I had to stop ALL work involving OneDrive (on any computer) until this was done to not intermix newer stuff and lose track of the 2-days of changes. At this point, it is probably easier to just delete and re-start on NAS. I was hoping that there was a simplier solution.

Thanks again for the help. I will re-post if the "delete and start over" resolves this issue. However, not knowing when the NAS might "glitch" again and render the copy of OneDrive useless does not instill confidence that the NAS can be relied upon as a "master" working copy of the files.

Message 7 of 8
Eric-s
Guide

I FOUND A SOLUTION.

When OneDrive gives a login error, you can "reset" it thus:

1. Open ReadyNAS Admin page and log in.

2. Go to the Cloud tab at the top.

3. Microsoft OneDrive should be one of the offered apps.

At this point, the slide switch may be "OFF". For me, switching it back to ON merely repeated the Login Error. Do not change this Switch at this time.

4. Click "settings" under OneDrive.

5. Under "Sync Direction", select the MINUS Icon next to the GEAR icon.

6. A popup asks you to Confirm Deletion. Select "Yes"

7. Now go back to the OneDrive section on the ReadyNAS-Cloud screen and move the slide-switch back to ON.

8. This should prompt you to set up OneDrive again. Re-select the same original storage folder on your NAS. For me it was:

Local Path "/data/OneDrive"

Cloud Storage Path "/"  (I chose the root folder on Microsoft OneDrive's website)

9. By choosing the prior (existing) folder on NAS when setting up again, I found that Microsoft began syncing again without any loss of data.

Again, thanks for the help, JohnCM. Maybe this will help others in the future.

By the way, after completing the above steps, the "Leave" button appeared. Apparently, what I did above replicated the Leave function manually.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements