× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 102 Slow Transfer Rate - Windows 7

Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

ReadyNas 102 Slow Transfer Rate - Windows 7

Hi,
I am completely new to network drives and wondering if someone can give me some advise as my transfer rate is incredibly slow.

Here is my setup
Readynas 102 (Firmware 6.2.2) INC 1 x WD RED WD30EFRX 3TB
Windows 7 PC (jumbo frames enabled 2k)
Netgear FS105 Gigabit Switch
All cat 6 cabling

When transferring, via file drop/copy within windows, an 800mb file its taking up to 8 minutes.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas 102 Slow Transfer Rate - Windows 7

The NETGEAR FS105 is a Fast Ethernet (100Mbit/s) Switch not a gigabit one. The GS105 is the Gigabit (1000Mbit/s) one. Can you confirm which you have?

What speed do you get if you disable Jumbo Frames? Have you tried a direct-connection between the NAS and your PC bypassing the switch?

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 34
StephenB
Guru

If you are using a fast ethernet switch, then your network can't carry jumbo frames so you should turn them off on the PC and the NAS. Normally drag/drop of an 800 MB file will take about 1 1/2 minutes on fast ethernet.

The RN102 should transfer the data in about 10-15 seconds on gigabit w/o jumbo frames (though your PC could become the bottleneck in that case, especially if it is a laptop w/o an SSD drive). The RN102 write speeds are slower than the read speeds.

Also, I suggest using NASTester to measure the transfer speeds. You can find it here: http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance
Message 3 of 34
Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

The switch I have is FS105. Is it worth me investing in a gigabit switch? I have a spare wndr3700 router if that's better for me to use?

I don't appear to be able to disable jumbo frames within the readynas.
I cant change the MTU to 0 as it wont allow me to apply the change. It does only say that I have 100 mbps bandwidth.
I disabled jumbo frames within windows the transfer rate for the file was 2 hours.

I'm struggling with the program below as any network path I put it is rejected and I don't have a nas drive letter either

Thanks for your help.
Message 4 of 34
Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

Also I have noticed there has been a leaf network adapter installed.
Is this likely to cause the issue?
Message 5 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Orthodoxyn wrote:
The switch I have is FS105. Is it worth me investing in a gigabit switch? I have a spare wndr3700 router if that's better for me to use?
You will get better performance if all your ethernet devices are connected to a gigabit switch. You can use the 4 lan ports on the WNDR3700 (leaving the WAN port unused), though that only gets you three usable ports (the 4th would connect to your main router). You could also set the WNDR3700 to AP mode and use the WAN connection to connect to your router. What is your main router btw?

New switches are pretty inexpensive, you can find unmanaged gigabit switches in the $20-$50 range in the US. An RN102 can deliver 50 MB/sec write speeds and 70 MB/sec read speeds. Fast ethernet is limited to 10-12 MB/sec.

Of course right now, something else is wrong, since you are seeing only about 2 MB/sec (800 MB in 8 minutes).

Orthodoxyn wrote:
I don't appear to be able to disable jumbo frames within the readynas. I cant change the MTU to 0 as it wont allow me to apply the change.
YIKES. Its good that it didn't let you do that. Set the MTU to 1500, not 0. 1500 is the default MTU for standard ethernet.

Orthodoxyn wrote:
I'm struggling with the program below as any network path I put it is rejected and I don't have a nas drive letter either
You create a drive letter by right-clicking on the computer icon on the PC and then choosing "map network drive". You enter the network path there, and also can enter a NAS username/password. You can remove the drive later on, but right-clicking on it in "computer".

Orthodoxyn wrote:
Also I have noticed there has been a leaf network adapter installed.
The leaf adapter is part of ReadyCloud/Remote. You shouldn't be using that on the local LAN. However, it makes sense to temporarily disable that adapter and retest, just to make sure it isn't being used.
Message 6 of 34
Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

Ok,
So I shall introduce the router instead of the switch to get better transfer rate once this has been sorted. Thanks for your advice.
The router/modem i'm using which plugs directly into the switch is vmdg485. I doubt this affects anything though.

I now have the tester working, here are the results for 1000mb looping twice. This is without the leaf network disabled.

NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
Running warmup...
Running a 1000MB file write on \\5.202.57.173\Videos twice...
Iteration 1: 1.76 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 1.77 MB/sec
-----------------------------
Average (W): 1.76 MB/sec
Running a 1000MB file read on \\5.202.57.173\Videos twice...
Iteration 1: 2.59 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 2.54 MB/sec
Average (R): 2.56 MB/sec

I have also attempted to connect the nas drive directly to my pc but unfortunately I get network issues. Is there a setting I need to change on either my pc or nas drive?

Thanks once again for all your help.
Message 7 of 34
Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

So have disabled the leaf networks adapter and have run the tester with the following results

Running warmup...
Running a 1000MB file write on \\NAS-36-0C-08\Videos twice...
Iteration 1: 11.47 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 11.51 MB/sec
Average (W): 11.49 MB/sec
Running a 1000MB file read on \\NAS-36-0C-08\Videos twice...
An error occured: The specified network name is no longer available.

All of a sudden the tester stopped and I was unable to access the drive which leads me to believe that the leaf adapter is required however a cause of the issue?
Message 8 of 34
Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

I have investigated the leaf networks adapter a little more and found the following;

Within the network connections which show both my local area and leaf adapter, if I right click and select status the local area shows speed as 100.0 mbps and the leaf adapter shows as 10.0 mbps.

This has to be the bottleneck issue.
Are you able to advise if its possible to change the speed on the leaf adapter?
Message 9 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Not sure what happened on the write test - however you certainly don't need the leaf adapter to access the NAS on your home network.

The leaf adapter is virtual, and connects to the Ready Remote server (it's a VPN, not a physical network connection). Changing the speed won't make any difference, it's there only because the field exists and needs to be filled with something. The adapter is routing your data through the internet to netgear servers (and back), so you are limited by your internet uplink speed (and the netgear servers). The leaf adapter is not supposed to be used on the local LAN, so something is amiss.

If you are logged into readycloud, perhaps try logging out and retesting.

One option is just to uninstall remote (or readycloud). If you have no immediate use for readycloud on that PC, I suggest doing that.

You can also manually disable the adapter - readycloud will automatically enable it when you log in, but it won't disable it when you log out.
Message 10 of 34
Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

I have a massive amount of data that I need to transfer from my pc so I need access via my main pc.

If a disable the leaf adapter I have intermittent problems transferring files to the drive hence the issue when running the test but it does improve on the transfer speeds.
The first file transfers fine when the adapter is disabled however the second doesn't respond. I have also noticed that there are two network paths created for the drive under the network folder on the left hand side.

One with an ip address and the other with the nas drive name and model number. Both lead into the drive however one usually crashes.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with this.
Message 11 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Just uninstall readycloud (or readyNAS remote) completely. That will remove leaf. And disable jumbo frames everywhere if you haven't done that yet (MTU=1500 is what you want). Then retest.

You might have some other network problem which is causing the PC to switch to remote. There is a way to directly connect the PC to the NAS so you can get the data transfer done at gigabit speed and w/o passing through your existing switch. But take remote out of the picture first, and then see where we are.

I get the frustration, but it can take a while to work through these issues on the forum. Communication isn't real-time, and there are certainly aspects of your setup that we don't know.
Message 12 of 34
Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

Uninstalling readynas remote gives me no access to the drive so i'm unable to retest?

Shame support isn't in real time. Can I provide you with any other details?
Message 13 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Orthodoxyn wrote:
Uninstalling readynas remote gives me no access to the drive so i'm unable to retest?
Well, that explains the performance problem. Leave it uninstalled for now.

Are you using your FS105 as a switch? And jumbo frames are disabled on the PC and the NAS?

You are saying that you can't map the NAS to a drive letter using the local NAS IP address?
Does entering https://nasipaddress/admin in your browser work?
Message 14 of 34
Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

Jumbo frames have been disabled on both the nas drive and windows 7 on the pc.

I'm still using the FS105.

I'm unsure now how to find out the nas drives local ip. Sorry complete novice at this.
Message 15 of 34
StephenB
Guru

You can install RAIDar on the PC and that will find it. (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ ... _4_3_8.exe). That doesn't use Leaf or ReadyCloud.

Your router also knows, there might be an "attached devices" screen there that will list devices and IP addresses.
Message 16 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Orthodoxyn wrote:
Shame support isn't in real time.
just to clarify - this is a community forum, and I don't work for Netgear (never have).

I'm happy to help out, but I am not Netgear support. You'd reach them via support.netgear.com.
Message 17 of 34
Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

Happy new year.
I really do appreciate all the help you have given me.

So, I have uninstalled the remote software inc leaf and installed raidar and successfully found my drive. This is still using the fs105.
Here are the results when running the tester.

Running warmup...
Running a 800MB file write on \\192.168.0.21\readydrop 3 times...
Iteration 1: 10.85 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 10.83 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 10.80 MB/sec
Average (W): 10.83 MB/sec
Running a 800MB file read on \\192.168.0.21\readydrop 3 times...

As you can see from the above I'm still experiencing the issue where the path just drops off.

I have attempted to connect the drive directly to the pc however I am unable to find the drive even though I have mapped it.

Would you advise speaking directly to netgear?
Message 18 of 34
Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

I have done some further testing. I connected my pc and nas drive directly to my router/modem taking the fast switch out of the setup.
I'm still experiencing the same results as above where the connection drops out.
Message 19 of 34
StephenB
Guru

Does the connection always drop immediately when you attempt to write to the NAS? Is it dropping if you use a different share for the destination?

Also, have you tried switching cables?
Message 20 of 34
Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

The connection drops around between 5 - 10 minutes.
You can tell this from previous tests that the initial loops run however on the 2nd iteration the connection usually drops and the drive can no longer be found.
Its strange as sometimes the mapping works via the ip address e.g \\192.168.0.21\videos\ however other times I have to access via the network path of \\NAS-36-0C-08\Videos\

I have tried different cables and have had the same usual results as per below. Also this time I notice the connection drops when the file is attempted to be read

Running warmup...
Running a 800MB file write on \\NAS-36-0C-08\Videos 5 times...
Iteration 1: 11.51 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 11.36 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 11.44 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 11.44 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 11.51 MB/sec
Average (W): 11.45 MB/sec
Running a 800MB file read on \\NAS-36-0C-08\Videos 5 times...
Message 21 of 34
StephenB
Guru

I think its time to take the switch out of the equation.

So maybe try the LAN ports of the WNDR3700 instead of the FS105. Leave the WAN port unused. If you are using all the ports on the FS105, then connect it to the WNDR3700 (and the 3700 to the main router). Connect the PC and the NAS directly to the 3700.

It is probably best to put the router in AP mode first (though it isn't strictly necessary).
Message 22 of 34
Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

Setup the router and experiencing the exact same problem as experienced with the switch. Results below

Running warmup...
Running a 1000MB file write on \\NAS-36-0C-08\Videos 5 times...
Iteration 1: 9.73 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 8.18 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 9.89 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 10.08 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 9.78 MB/sec
Average (W): 9.53 MB/sec
Running a 1000MB file read on \\NAS-36-0C-08\Videos 5 times...
An error occurred: The specified network name is no longer available.

Could it be a problem with another piece of software i'm running, i.e. DNS changer/printer/anti virus?
Message 23 of 34
Orthodoxyn
Aspirant

Would it be worth doing a fresh install of windows on my pc and testing the nas drive without installing any other software?
Message 24 of 34
StephenB
Guru

You should have been seeing faster write speeds using the gigabit router.

Try disabling antivirus and any internet security suite you have running on the PC (without reinstalling). Also confirm that you have gigabit connections on the PC and the NAS. Disable antivirus on the NAS as well.

Perhaps also try mapping a drive letter, and use that instead of the network path.

A fresh install of windows would be a huge amount of work.
Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements