× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas-1100

WTAr7k
Aspirant

ReadyNas-1100

Hello all,

May ressurect my RN Duo. I cant remember the max drive 

geometries allowable. Anybody remember? Original HCL list doesn't link properly anymore.

Thanks,

William

Model: ReadyNAS-1100|ReadyNAS 1100
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas-1100

@Sandshark wrote:

One big warning about RAID0:  if you lose one drive, you lose everything.  Two separate volumes is safer, though you do then have to manually manage content space on them.  

I totally agree, and I use two volumes on my own Duo for that reason.  If you go with two volumes, I suggest going into flexraid with only one disk installed, and then insert the second disk (and create the second volume) after setup.  Sometimes the Duo seems determined to use a single volume in flexraid setup, and that can't go wrong if there is only one disk in the system.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Not sure why your title and model say ReadyNAS 1100, but your text says Duo.

The 1100 is a rackmount system with 4 bays, and looks like this:

4537-ReadyNAS1100FrontwithDrive-1.jpg

The Duo is a 2-bay desktop NAS that looks like this:

duo_reflect2Small.jpg

There are some other 2-bay Desktop ReadyNAS, and the answer to your question does depend on exactly what model you have.

Can you can take a picture of the front of the unit (including the text on the bottom right), and post it here?

Message 2 of 10
WTAr7k
Aspirant

Thanks for the help StephenB,

It's definitley a Duo. I think when I was trying to post the Duo was not a option

in the drop down and I just picked anything. Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Bill

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@WTAr7k wrote:

It's definitely a Duo.

Good.  There are two quite different Duo platforms - the original Duo (called Duo v1 here) and the Duo v2.  The Duo v2 was introduced in November 2011 (replacing the original Duo).

The Duo v1

• runs 4.1.x firmware
  • says ReadyNAS Duo on the front panel
  • might have v2 labels on the back or side

The Duo v2

• runs 5.3.x firmware
  • says ReadyNAS Duo v2 on the front panel

The Duo v1 is limited to disks of 2 TB or less.  The Duo v2 can handle much larger disks.  There are posts here from folks who sucessfully installed 6 TB drives.  One person did run into trouble with 8 TB (though that might have been due to faulty drives).

Overall, NAS-purposed disks are the best choice for your NAS  - Western Digital Red and Seagate Ironwolf will both work well.  Enterprise class will of course also work, but your NAS isn't fast enough to take full advantage of them.

The HCL is available btw, but it hasn't been updated in many years - so it is not a useful guide anymore.

Message 4 of 10
WTAr7k
Aspirant

Stephen,

A couple of pix for reference.20190111_121435.jpg20190111_121324.jpg

Message 5 of 10
WTAr7k
Aspirant

Hey Stephen,

I was able to bring up the Duo with a scratch drive I had laying around,,

I have 2 Red 2TB's coming tomorrow. I post the progress.

Thanks again for the assistance. 

Billradiator.JPG

Message 6 of 10
WTAr7k
Aspirant

Hello StephenB, 

Got the two Reds in, resyncing now.

Question: Can I RAID0 stripe the drives to have 4TB total. I read in the threads to use

Raidar to do so, any thoughts on this process, I currently see no "Setup" option in Raidar. Does it only show in the 10min wait period.

Thanks once again for your time,

Bill

Message 7 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

It only shows in the wait time, and then only on older RAIDar 4.3.8.  But you can destroy the volume it is currently syncing and replace it with a RAID0 volume.  One big warning about RAID0:  if you lose one drive, you lose everything.  Two separate volumes is safer, though you do then have to manually manage content space on them.  Of course, you really should have a backup; and if you do, it would just be a matter of it taking longer to restore everything.

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

One big warning about RAID0:  if you lose one drive, you lose everything.  Two separate volumes is safer, though you do then have to manually manage content space on them.  

I totally agree, and I use two volumes on my own Duo for that reason.  If you go with two volumes, I suggest going into flexraid with only one disk installed, and then insert the second disk (and create the second volume) after setup.  Sometimes the Duo seems determined to use a single volume in flexraid setup, and that can't go wrong if there is only one disk in the system.

Message 9 of 10
WTAr7k
Aspirant

Thanks all for the help, the Duo is up

and running, Raid0 for now. I'll probably

change the configuration in a few weeks.

Thanks,

Bill

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements