× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Ultra6 stuck on boot

dabrain22
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra6 stuck on boot

I was getting disk warning messages i used the webui to restart the device and flagged to do a volume scan. The system is rebooting but just the ReadNas logo appears on the front of the device. No % or any indications anything is running it has been sitting on that screen for 45min now.

Model: ReadyNASRNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

Re: ReadyNas Ultra6 stuck on boot

First try to boot into boot menu and select Skip FSCK (or volume check, something like that, I can't remember exact entry) to see if system can boot without being stuck. 

If you have backup, degrade RAID is not as scary, otherwise, please proceed with extreme caution, don't write data to degrade array before you have full backup.

If you have desktop PC or laptop with eSATA port + eSATA enclousers, you can try to power off NAS and take out disk 1 to PC/laptop to test it or clone it to a new disk(Linux Live CD or USB is very useful to clone disk). (Be very carefuly not to write anything to the disk). If PC/laptop can't bring up disk 1 either, then you may have to take risk and boot up NAS with disk 2~6 if you don't want to send the disk to data recovery service company. If by any chance, you are running OS 6 on Ultra 6 (Official support for Ultra 6 was OS 4), you can select volume read only mode from boot menu to eliminate chance of data loss should any other disk is failing.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What disk warning messages?

Did you download the logs before you rebooted?

Do you have a backup?

Message 2 of 10
dabrain22
Aspirant

No backup, didnt download the logs. Just reboot and volume scan on a reboot. A simple procedure.

Message 3 of 10
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

Can your NAS boot pass NETGEAR logo without any hard disks? (Please never break your disk RAID group, always all in, or all out unless you really know the consequences. Change all in / out when power is off ).

If NAS can boot up and complain no disk detected, then one of drive is hanging boot process.

The most common reason for failing drive to hang system is that the drive keeps generating hotplug interrupts, when OS supports hot plug, it is very hard for it to distinguish errorous/fake hot interrupts(therefore not fall into endless interrupt service loop) and real hot plug interrupt.

It is not very convenient to locate which drive is hanging the system, you may try following

1. If you have serial console connected to 4-pin TTL serial port, you can see where system hangs

2. Listen and feel which drive is making strange noise

3. Boot into techsupport mode (I found that system is less likely hung by drive in this mode) and check which drive fails

4. Take drives to regular PC and run vendor's diagnostic tool (Be very careful not to destroy data on drive)

Message 4 of 10
dabrain22
Aspirant

Well before I rebooted i got between 10-20 timeout messages for disk 1. Can i just remove disk 1 and boot the NAS normally? My raid volume will start degraded? x-raid 2. 6 disks. single redundancy.

Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That depends on if there is a bad disk if that happens to be the one or not.

Message 6 of 10
dabrain22
Aspirant

The unit and drives were healthy i started getting timeout messages in the web console logs on disk 1. i click check volume on next boot and restarted the device using the web console the unit rebooted and hangs at the netgear logo.

Message 7 of 10
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

First try to boot into boot menu and select Skip FSCK (or volume check, something like that, I can't remember exact entry) to see if system can boot without being stuck. 

If you have backup, degrade RAID is not as scary, otherwise, please proceed with extreme caution, don't write data to degrade array before you have full backup.

If you have desktop PC or laptop with eSATA port + eSATA enclousers, you can try to power off NAS and take out disk 1 to PC/laptop to test it or clone it to a new disk(Linux Live CD or USB is very useful to clone disk). (Be very carefuly not to write anything to the disk). If PC/laptop can't bring up disk 1 either, then you may have to take risk and boot up NAS with disk 2~6 if you don't want to send the disk to data recovery service company. If by any chance, you are running OS 6 on Ultra 6 (Official support for Ultra 6 was OS 4), you can select volume read only mode from boot menu to eliminate chance of data loss should any other disk is failing.

Message 8 of 10
dabrain22
Aspirant

I removed the first drive tray from the unit and the NAS boots in degraded mode drive 1 has been reinserted and fails smart test.

I always used seagate and was moving towards seagate NAS 4tb series but now im thinking HGST MegaScale DC 4000.B HMS5C4040ALE640 (0F19847) 4TB Coolspin 64MB drives are better i googled and a test was done and only .15% drives failed compared to close to 2% for the seagate drives.

What drives are you guys using?

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@dabrain22 wrote:

What drives are you guys using?

Personally I use WDC Reds, though folks using Seagate IronWolf drives here have been happy with them.  Some of the larger drives now are using alternative mounting slot positions that won't line up with your disk tray - so check on that before you purchase.

HGST has been part of WDC for a while, and I think they have had some impact on other WDC designs (the WD80EFRX being helium filled for instance).

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements